Baby Chickens Speckled Sussex and Buff Brahma

Farmer Ian

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 13, 2013
Virginia, USA
Hello, BYC community! My name is Ian and live in Virginia, USA.

I am not a first time chicken raiser, when i was very young we had our first chickens which were rhode island reds.
My dad built the coop when we got them, and installed a White heat lamp/light source.

Was this the right thing to do? i've heard lots of different opinions on this website saying that red bulbs are indeed better/safer.
Currently here in VA it is in the 60's at night, 80's during the day. My chickens are 2 weeks and one day old, most of them have a lot of feathers growing in.

Would it be alright if i had the light turned off tonight? This morning they were on the roost for the first time and seemed pretty comfortable.

They are very healthy birds, can anyone tell me about the two different breeds of bird? (Pro's and Con's??)

We got them for egg production, not meat.

Replys are much appreciated!!!
thumbsup.gif
Thanks for reading my post, peace be with you and happy chicken raising!

**edited by Staff**

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

Your birds will continue to need supplemental heat when it is cool until they are fully feathered out at 6 weeks - they can't "fluff" effectively to keep themselves warm until then.

Greetings from Kansas, Ian, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! I X2 the advice of 1muttsfan about heat in the coop. With regard to the two breeds...I can't speak to the Buff Brahmas, never having owned any. I have had Speckled Sussex, however. Mine are friendly, quiet, and great layers. Good luck to you!

Thanks for all the advice and the welcomes!
clap.gif
highfive.gif

Though i have heard of some people that have never used artificial lights for their chickens and they survived and even thrived in some situations.

I know a friend who got chickens from the same place as i did, and they never used lights in the coop. How could this work? i thought it would be too cold without them. they only have 10 buff orpingtons (idk if that's the correct spelling sorry).

Back
Top Bottom