Baby chicks - 2 Questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CHICKYDEB, Jun 14, 2007.

1. CHICKYDEB

CHICKYDEB Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2007
    Phelps, NY
    Hi all! Just reading everyone's posts on when to put babies with older chicks and I have a new question. I am getting four 3 weekers tomorrow from my new friend that I met her at BYC. I currently have roos and hens 1 year plus and a chick that is about 9 months old (the subject of which will be my second question). My first question is will it EVER be safe to put the new babies with the grown chickens? The older ones quickly accepted the new chicks which were hatched by there mom last year and I have two hens now that are sitting on eggs, so do you think that when these new chicks that I am adopting get old enough to come out of the brooder it will be ok to put them in the coop? Will the moms of the newly hatched chicks maybe adopt them? Ooops, that is more than two questions..sorry but any advice would help. Here's my other problem - my 9 month old chick (only one that survived) has neither crowed or laid an egg. At what age are you supposed to tell if he's a he or she's a she? SHouldnt she/he have done something by now?? She/he just recently stopped trying to sleep under his mom's wing! Is he a late bloomer? Please help because I think one of my roos is confused on the chicks sex also! [​IMG]. He gets yelled at by my lead roo whenever he tries to find out if she/he is a hen:eek:. His/her mom is a silkie, but he/she has a head shaped like a bicycle helmet!

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Post a pic of the chick. Silkies are hard to sex when young but by 9 months it should not be a problem at all. Silkies can be a year before laying.

You new chicks would be best 3 months old before introducing them if you can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by