Baby chicks 3 weeks apart.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Eroicayori, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Eroicayori

Eroicayori In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2011
    I recently ordered 7 Buff Orpington chicks and 3 Dominques. I am very excited!
    The problem is that though they are 1 day old chicks I will be getting the breeds 3 weeks apart. Will I have to keep them in separate brooders or can they be housed together?

Thank you for your time,
    Sara

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Songster

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I think you can combine them , but I'd give the young ones a week on their own first. three week olds and newborns are a lot of size difference. One week olds can move around a lot quicker and get out of trouble more easily.

I'll be running into this same thing in about a month. I am hatching and then resetting a hatch immediately so I can combine the two ASAP.

3. kera!

kera! Songster

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    I think it will work but same wait till a week old then combine...

4. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Songster

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I combine mine, but they have lots of room. I always keep a close eye on them. You need to be careful, waiting a week is a great idea.

5. pkw

pkw Songster

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    I haven't had any problems with combining 3 week old chicks with day olds. If all goes well with my hatch this weekend I will be putting my day olds in with my 3 week olds. There is plenty of space and I have done this with other chicks before same age difference.

6. Eroicayori

Eroicayori In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2011
    Thank you all so much for your help. You have really relieved my mind on the subject.

-----------------------------
    One contractor husband, one male toddler, two labs, three cats, one love bird, 30 fish, five goats and now ten chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: