Baby Chicks Arrived

Truck207

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 7, 2010
I got 26 new baby chicks this morning! I have one that isn't doing so good. She is smaller than the others and can't really walk. She tends to fall to one side and her head always seems pitched forwards. What should I do to help her? Everytime I put her in the brooder, a couple of the other chicks start picking her. Also, how should I feed her? Should I take some food and mix it in the water to make a soupy type food?

Thanks.

If the others are picking on her, I would separate her from the others. Maybe if you can just put up some cardboard in the brooder and make her a separate area and put a little stuffed animal in there so she has company.

Have you seen her drink water? Sometimes they gently need their beaks set in the water so they can learn how to drink. I would definitely get some water in here asap. Do you have electrolytes/vitamins for the water, that will definitely help them all, but especially her.

Good luck, I hope it's just a bit of shock.
fl.gif

I haven't really seen her drink on her own, so I keep dipping her beak. If I hold her in my hands she starts to get jumpy, but if I put her down in the brooder, shes has a hard time walking. Should I put a little carboard box directly under the light in the brooder or kind of half under and half not?

make sure she's eating and drinking and get the vitamins in her(possible even give her some powdered antibiotics from the tractor supply their cheap...and they tend to help...I use it with all of my day old hatchery babies just a measure of prevention)I wouldn't let the others pick at her(your box idea seems great..also maybe add a feather duster in there with her..)...maybe they were picking on her during shipping and that's why she's having trouble walking now. Give her some time and if she's healthy she''' perk up...their resilient little buggers! Blessings, Keri

Yeah, when we opened the box, some of them were walking over her. How should I go about making here eat food? I don't really want to shove here face in it...

Thanks for the help!

It sounds like you are doing the right things (with dipping her bill).

I would put the box half under/half out. If the box is directly under the light she may over heat and have no way of moving to a cooler area (maybe stick a small thermometer in the box just to check the temps once?).

Last edited:
Quote:
I second this with new2chooks. The poly-vi-sol vitamins are the best. And remember that vitamins and antibiotics in water don't mix.

Back
Top Bottom