Baby chicks countdown thread!

So I finally checked my email and Murray McMurray can't ship my order. They had one of the farms test positive for Avian Influenza and I had multiple chicks that were coming from that flock. I had to cancel my order of 16 :(

I went to TSC and picked up a few babies and the employee there said they didn't think they were going to get any more after this batch because my state shut down all chicken sales apparently. No shows, no auctions, etc. I decided to only get 5 since I couldn't get the rare breeds I wanted.

1-St run buff orpington
1-Americauna pullet
2-Astralorp pullet
1-Golden comet pullet

I really wanted a buff orpington so I thought I'd flip a coin on just one and see what happens. If it's a cockerel it won't be the end of the world and I'll try again next year.

So sad that I won't have my Polish, Crevecour, Motled Houdon, or Salmon Faverolle though...

So I finally checked my email and Murray McMurray can't ship my order. They had one of the farms test positive for Avian Influenza and I had multiple chicks that were coming from that flock. I had to cancel my order of 16 :(

I went to TSC and picked up a few babies and the employee there said they didn't think they were going to get any more after this batch because my state shut down all chicken sales apparently. No shows, no auctions, etc. I decided to only get 5 since I couldn't get the rare breeds I wanted.

1-St run buff orpington
1-Americauna pullet
2-Astralorp pullet
1-Golden comet pullet

I really wanted a buff orpington so I thought I'd flip a coin on just one and see what happens. If it's a cockerel it won't be the end of the world and I'll try again next year.

So sad that I won't have my Polish, Crevecour, Motled Houdon, or Salmon Faverolle though...
Wow. So they just canceled it? AFAIK they still had (copied from your original list)
2 Buff Orpington
4 Americauna (EE most likely)
1 Whiting True Blue
3 Black Australorp
1 unsexed free surprise chick

I’m shocked they didn’t offer to send only the breeds that weren’t affected.
My order had 3 breeds affected so I added one that was still available and the removed the rest.

Glad you were able to get a few chicks from TSC. Ideal poultry has a minimum $30 order, so if you want a few more chicks maybe try to order a few from them? Its about 7 chicks for that price, & only $7 ship fee.

Wow. So they just canceled it? AFAIK they still had (copied from your original list)
2 Buff Orpington
4 Americauna (EE most likely)
1 Whiting True Blue
3 Black Australorp
1 unsexed free surprise chick

I’m shocked they didn’t offer to send only the breeds that weren’t affected.
My order had 3 breeds affected so I added one that was still available and the removed the rest.

Glad you were able to get a few chicks from TSC. Ideal poultry has a minimum $30 order, so if you want a few more chicks maybe try to order a few from them? Its about 7 chicks for that price, & only $7 ship fee.
They did offer to send the ones they still had which was only the Orpingtons, Australorps, and the Whiting, but the reschedule earliest date was August. I didn't want to have fall chicks this year, roll over till next year, or pay the small order fee so I cancelled it instead. I like a diverse flock and having so many of the same types just wasn't in my plans for the flock. I'll get some fancy ones next year most likely, and just love on the 5 littles I got this year.

They did offer to send the ones they still had which was only the Orpingtons, Australorps, and the Whiting, but the reschedule earliest date was August. I didn't want to have fall chicks this year, roll over till next year, or pay the small order fee so I cancelled it instead. I like a diverse flock and having so many of the same types just wasn't in my plans for the flock. I'll get some fancy ones next year most likely, and just love on the 5 littles I got this year.
Wow. I’m glad you were able to get your littles and hopefully your full order next year!

I couldnt get a salmon faverolle this year like a wanted. Also the blue laced red wyandotte that i wanted they didnt have now they are in stock.
I have managed to score 2 Salmon Faverolle that a friend got 5 weeks ago!!!! She ordered 31 and only got 16, but can spare me two of them. I'm super happy, but now I'll have three groups to tend LOL. The little biddies in the house brooder, the 2 in my Coop de Ville, and the main flock in the Taj Ma Coop.

Here's the littles..

The blond one with the black on the wings is the Americauna. I can't wait to see what she looks like when she's feathered out!!!! All the others were the typical chipmunk pattern and I have two that are the partridge looking types from chipmunk babies already.
20220410_073400.jpg

HOPEFULLY chick day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (it is midnight here LOL) But they should be in today or tomorrow (from both places) so fingers crossed for Fri (today) and that I see the notice for the first come first serve ones and get there in time to get the breeds I really want!!!!!

And on top of that I have some BBS Cochin hatching eggs coming. said Sat-Tue but they haven't shipped yet so thinking not till Mon or Tue. :( once they get here I will let them sit for a day and then put some in the incubator and some under my broody.

So Hatch day for those should be May 10/11.

@junior67 Is your order the same as your original plan? Brahma, Blue Rock, EE, OE, Legbar, Marans & Buttercup?

I am picking up EE eggs on Monday to set (not keeping any of the chicks).
Actual chick order is changed slightly (list a few breeds from McM when AI hit one of their breeders, so added a couple from the local guy).

Good luck with your eggs, are you doing a hatch-a-long?

(& does hubby know anything yet…😂)

PS: 9 weeks left for chicks for me! 😊

@junior67 Is your order the same as your original plan? Brahma, Blue Rock, EE, OE, Legbar, Marans & Buttercup?

I am picking up EE eggs on Monday to set (not keeping any of the chicks).
Actual chick order is changed slightly (list a few breeds from McM when AI hit one of their breeders, so added a couple from the local guy).

Good luck with your eggs, are you doing a hatch-a-long?

(& does hubby know anything yet…😂)

PS: 9 weeks left for chicks for me! 😊
my order from one feed store is Brahma, Blue Rock, EE and OE.....

Then the first come first serve that I am attempting to get (thankfully I asked them if they could private message me on FB to let me know when they came in and they said they would try. As of 7:48 this morning no updates just shows in transit) are Legbar, Buttercup and I think I switched to Lavender Orpington instead of BCM.....

once I have my eggs that are being mailed I will join a hatch along but also post in my Itzy and Ditzy hatch alone I started with my first attempt at incubating. I asked the seller last night if they knew when they would be shipping and he said "it should update with in 24 hrs".. so asked if that meant he was shipping them out today and he said yes. so they won't be here till Mon unless he mails them later then maybe Tue........ UGH that means they will basically take 3 days to get here since it is over the weekend...... and Mon is my long day at work so I am going to have to make sure I tell my daughter to bring them in and be careful with them!

umm well hubby knows my chicks might be in today and I am excited. He knows I am getting some that I ordered and also hoping to pick up some at another store. And he knows I am setting some eggs that "Ditzy laid" he doesn't know I bought some from ebay.. He just doesn't know the amounts from either store........

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom