BABY CHICKS GASPING FOR AIR "HELP"

We’re going through this as well. We have tried all the less aggressive methods and have lost 5. The chicks have spread whatever it is to the bigger hens (one hen snuck some of the chicks water). We’re having to give them shots now and rubbing VetRx on their combs and haven’t lost anymore. Our young Maran seems to just sleep a lot, still eating and drinking but doesn’t seem to grow. She lost her Maran mate to this so I know she’s sad as am I. We thought it was because we got ducks but now I’m hearing so many people with this problems who don’t have ducks and antibiotics have been sold out of all the feed stores around here. Weird???

I had this happen, and my chick lost most of the use of her legs. She was gaping, and shaking her head and sneezing every now and then. I quarantined her. (She would get herself into her back even). I made sure to keep her hydrated at first with electrolytes. I also used and oral oregano blend and added to her waters. Ended up being suggested to me to treat her for coccidiosis with Corid in the water. Making sure she drank. She started improving greatly! I would avoid antibiotic unless necessary! And if you do make sure it’s the correct dosage. Corid in the liquid form is 2 Tbps per gallon of water. And make sure that’s the only water they drink for at least the next 5 days! All your babies! Not just the sick. The sick maybe incorporate in a little electrolyte. In hope this helps!

I had this happen, and my chick lost most of the use of her legs. She was gaping, and shaking her head and sneezing every now and then. I quarantined her. (She would get herself into her back even). I made sure to keep her hydrated at first with electrolytes. I also used and oral oregano blend and added to her waters. Ended up being suggested to me to treat her for coccidiosis with Corid in the water. Making sure she drank. She started improving greatly! I would avoid antibiotic unless necessary! And if you do make sure it’s the correct dosage. Corid in the liquid form is 2 Tbps per gallon of water. And make sure that’s the only water they drink for at least the next 5 days! All your babies! Not just the sick. The sick maybe incorporate in a little electrolyte. In hope this helps!
I totally agree!! We had tried the corid and wasn’t cutting it for us. We would be an extreme case.

I totally agree!! We had tried the corid and wasn’t cutting it for us. We would be an extreme case.
It’s tough! I have lost 2 chicks in the last 2 days as well. 2 more trying to recover and one seeming a little weak. I should have paid more attention to the signs. I bought 7 from a local breeder and noticed 3 looking a little unkempt. Fluffed up wings etc. she doesn’t raise her older ones with extra heat source so I though maybe they were trying to keep warm! NOPE! Cocci! But she has so many that even on medicated feed and corid it’s hard to keep them from getting it. Praying these sick ones continue to improve! Praying yours improve as well! I may have to start mine on antibiotics too!

Had the same problem for 3 days now. Nothing bad is happening?! I’m still very worried though...
You've found a fairly old and long thread.
Can you give start your own thread or at least give information to your particular situation?
Age of chick(s), symptoms, how you house them, what you feed, etc.
Photos of chicks and poop are sometimes helpful. A video of actions is always good too (upload video to youtube and provide us a link)

We prayed for baby chick last night. This morning went to check and shes totally fine now!!! Thank you Jesus!

Worked for me though it was the next day before a four day old was healed. Maybe I had to sleep on it. I used a glass eye dropper to give her some whole milk yogurt laced with echinacea & goldenseal, milk thistle, olive leaf extract, and cod liver oil. I have no idea what healed her but a big thanks to Jesus for the real healing and the ideas.

this summer my chick went outside and he went in the compost and the following day he died under his mom . now we have a other chick that went near the compost and now he doe's follow the other chick and the mother and he "gasps for air " do you know what it could be ? :hmm
i love my chickens and chicks please help me 🍀
thank you

my chick that does that is 3 weeks old and he went in are compost i don't now why he's "gasping for air "
do you know ?
what should i do ?
thank you

this summer my chick went outside and he went in the compost and the following day he died under his mom . now we have a other chick that went near the compost and now he doe's follow the other chick and the mother and he "gasps for air " do you know what it could be ? :hmm
i love my chickens and chicks please help me 🍀
thank you
my chick that does that is 3 weeks old and he went in are compost i don't now why he's "gasping for air "
do you know ?
what should i do ?
thank you
Welcome To BYC!
Can you please post some photos of the chick, his poop and your set-up?

What are you feeding?
Does the chick have grit available?

Keep the chick out of the compost - do your best to keep her hydrated. Once she's hydrated, then offer some wet chick feed.

Look inside the beak to make sure there's no obstruction and let us know what her crop feels like.

Where are you located in the world?

Back
Top Bottom