BABY CHICKS GASPING FOR AIR "HELP"

StillmanFarm

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 27, 2014
I have a question, I had a baby chick that was 4 days old and was laying on her belly with eyes closed and appearing to have problems breathing "gasping for air". I gave water via medicine dropper and tried to feed, the baby chick did drink water but the next morning was dead. I took out the rest of the baby chicks from brooder to clean out screened floor and put back in brooder. Now 3 chicks are doing the same thing like gasping for air with eyes closed. What should I do/what is the cause of this, does anybody know?

Water I have durvet vitamins & electrolytes, sav-A-chick probiotic & apple cider vinegar

Thanks for any help
Christopher

One of my chicks is doing this now, i feel helpless! The other 9 are fine but 1 is lifting her head and opening her beak like shes trying to get air. We use pine shavings for bedding, haven't had a problem using that with our first set of hens so i cant imagine its that. Its almost like something is stuck in her throat and she can swallow.... :( i dont know what to do.

I have a question, I had a baby chick that was 4 days old and was laying on her belly with eyes closed and appearing to have problems breathing "gasping for air". I gave water via medicine dropper and tried to feed, the baby chick did drink water but the next morning was dead. I took out the rest of the baby chicks from brooder to clean out screened floor and put back in brooder. Now 3 chicks are doing the same thing like gasping for air with eyes closed. What should I do/what is the cause of this, does anybody know?

Water I have durvet vitamins & electrolytes, sav-A-chick probiotic & apple cider vinegar

Thanks for any help
Christopher
Why are you adding apple cider vinegar to the water with chicks that young? That is too acidic for a young chick's developing digestive system, and can cause regurgitation. Regurgitation means aspiration (liquid in the air sacs).

Many people also make the mistake of giving newly arrived chicks water for too long. The practice is to prevent filling up on water too quickly in order to avoid aspiration. Provide tepid or warm water mixed with poultry vitamins-electrolytes the first 10 minutes after chicks are placed in the brooder, make sure they all get some, and then take the water away for 15 minutes.

Last edited:
We’re going through this as well. We have tried all the less aggressive methods and have lost 5. The chicks have spread whatever it is to the bigger hens (one hen snuck some of the chicks water). We’re having to give them shots now and rubbing VetRx on their combs and haven’t lost anymore. Our young Maran seems to just sleep a lot, still eating and drinking but doesn’t seem to grow. She lost her Maran mate to this so I know she’s sad as am I. We thought it was because we got ducks but now I’m hearing so many people with this problems who don’t have ducks and antibiotics have been sold out of all the feed stores around here. Weird???

I had this happen, and my chick lost most of the use of her legs. She was gaping, and shaking her head and sneezing every now and then. I quarantined her. (She would get herself into her back even). I made sure to keep her hydrated at first with electrolytes. I also used and oral oregano blend and added to her waters. Ended up being suggested to me to treat her for coccidiosis with Corid in the water. Making sure she drank. She started improving greatly! I would avoid antibiotic unless necessary! And if you do make sure it’s the correct dosage. Corid in the liquid form is 2 Tbps per gallon of water. And make sure that’s the only water they drink for at least the next 5 days! All your babies! Not just the sick. The sick maybe incorporate in a little electrolyte. In hope this helps!

Well, this could be the cause of using cedar shavings in your brooder. Cedar shavings make it hard for chicks to breath, which can cause death.
hmm.png

Do you use cedar shavings? If you do, I would replace them with large pine shaving immediately!

I hope this helps!

It almost looks like hick-ups, but in a gasping like way. STRESSED OUT my first time hatching chicken eggs

I have the same thing going on right now with one of my chicks. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom