baby Chicks have mites :(

basketballndl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 9, 2010
Hello, I have been battling mites on my three Japanese bantams for about 2 weeks now. I have been spraying them with Adams Plus spray stuff for dogs which I was told to use by a fellow 4-H'er. It has not worked. One of the hens has recently hatched out 5 beautiful peeps and they have the mites as well. I would not call this a heavy investation but something has to be done about it especially since the peeps are only 2 days old and the three bantams have and upcoming show in August so they need to be bug free!! My primary question is WHAT IS SAFE FOR THE CHICKS?
Thank You
~Hannah

How old are they? I use seven on mine. Just this week I realized the baby seramas had mites. I took a pinch and put it under each wing, and on their bottoms.
sharon

You may want to go the pesticide way: pick up some Sevin dust or Prozap poultry and animal dust, which is usually sold at most feed stores. Very carefully, using plastic gloves, work it into their feathers. Also add a bit to their dust bathing spot, and and dust their coop. Repeat in a week or two. This is how I got rid of those horrible things in my coop of 15+ birds. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much. I planned on using Sevin on the older birds but I was nervous about using it on the 2 day old peeps. Which leads me to my next question... When I dust them will the mites die... or linger and possibly try to move on to my second coop? Even worse, Am I at risk to catch these annoying bugs?

First, mites or lice?

With only three birds, BATHE them in a dog flea/tick shampoo that contains an Insect Growth Regulator. The label will say that it kills flea eggs, and that it lasts about a month.

If the Adams did not work, then it was likely expired, or you did not spray the right areas or enough; one time should last at least a week. For the babies, you can use sevin or permethrin dust; much safer for them than are the mites which will rapidly kill them. You could shampoo the babies, too, but I would be worried about them getting cold or water in their faces. Ivermectin pour-on is also effective at killing lice and mites. If you use it on babies, dilute it 50:50 with a light oil such as body oil or mineral oil.

Yes, the pests can spread to your other coop. Lice will not be an issue with mammals; the types of lice that infest birds are different from those that infest mammals. Mites can be less choosey, as are fleas, mosquitoes and other pests.

To be quite honest i dont know what they are. I have been spraying with the adams and that has deterred them from the big birds but they are on the peeps. Before the babies even hatched i cleaned out the woodchips from the nest area, sprayed thr floor with the adams and covered it with fresh wood chips but the mite or lice came back. Is there any way i can tell wgat they are?

Lice are straw coloured; likely located on body under wings and/or around the vent. They can move very rapidly. Mites are smaller, black or red and more likely to be found on head, legs, or various locations. Mites move more slowly, and sometimes may only be seen at night, as they do not always live on the bird. Lice pretty much stay on the bird unless moving to a new host.

hmmm ok. The only time I have ever checked the birds is during the day. So I have seen white/light light brown/tan colored bugs scurrying along their vent area. I just bought 5% Sevin and will dust them asap.

I just dusted the peeps with sevin. with rubber gloves I got some on my finger while my dad held the peep and put some under each wing. I did the same for the mom and their two other coop-mates. I also extremely lightly dusted "here and there" in the coop. I am praying it does not harm my peeps..... How often should I do this??

Back
Top Bottom