baby chicks have simething and are dying plz help me

marcus connor

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 23, 2014
Eastern Texas

Symptoms include, standing around, shallow breathing, not moving, no drinking or eating, eyes closed. They are 2 weeks old white leghorn chicks. Plz help
1f637.png
1f625.png

Corid. Immediately. Go NOW to your nearest feed store and find Corid. Powder 20% or liquid 9.6% solution .

It says it's for cattle. It can be used in poultry.

The recipe is:

1.5 Tablespoons (NO LESS) of 20% powder per gallon.
2 teaspoons of 9.6% liquid per gallon.

Give for 7 days, make fresh daily (at least).

For a quart, divide the dosage 1/4.

Get a small dropper/syringe, too. You may have to give it to them with a dropper.

It's possible these chicks have coccidiosis. It's very common, and they are showing signs. It's a microscopic creepy that invades their intestines and prevents abortion of nutrients.

You must act quickly.

I would advise, if you have other chickens, that you also run Corid in their water, same dosage. Make sure it is the only water the chickens have access to while on the Corid.

Even if it's too late for the chicks, *please* look into acquiring this medicine, if you don't have it already.

When was the last time you wormed your flock?

MrsB

Last edited:
How easily does it spread I have 19 grown chickens and they have no contact to the other birds

It can spread easily, but older chickens may not succumb to it so easily.

It's a good idea to run Corid through their water for 5-7 days at the dosage from my previous post. Again, make sure it's the only water they can access during this time.

It can spread VERY easily. The disease can be carried by wild birds, chickens from different flocks, on a person’s shoes, clothing or equipment. Cocci is commonly transmitted through dirty water or contaminated food. It is especially dangerous for chicks, as you have learned, unfortunately.

Worming is a good practice once or twice a year (or as needed), especially before they molt. A chicken is very stressed during the molt process and a load of internal parasites can take their immune system over the edge. Valbazen is probably the best, as it kills 99% of internal parasites that can infect chickens, and starves them slowly (as opposed to nuking them all at once, leaving your chicken to try and pass a ball of worms, which can cause a blockage and death).

Corid (also known as Amprolium) is the only effective treatment for Cocci, and a chemical wormer (Valbazen, Safe Guard) are the ONLY methods by which you can control worms.

Keep us posted.

MrsB

It can spread easily, but older chickens may not succumb to it so easily.

It's a good idea to run Corid through their water for 5-7 days at the dosage from my previous post. Again, make sure it's the only water they can access during this time.

It can spread VERY easily. The disease can be carried by wild birds, chickens from different flocks, on a person’s shoes, clothing or equipment. Cocci is commonly transmitted through dirty water or contaminated food. It is especially dangerous for chicks, as you have learned, unfortunately.

Worming is a good practice once or twice a year (or as needed), especially before they molt. A chicken is very stressed during the molt process and a load of internal parasites can take their immune system over the edge. Valbazen is probably the best, as it kills 99% of internal parasites that can infect chickens, and starves them slowly (as opposed to nuking them all at once, leaving your chicken to try and pass a ball of worms, which can cause a blockage and death).

Corid (also known as Amprolium) is the only effective treatment for Cocci, and a chemical wormer (Valbazen, Safe Guard) are the ONLY methods by which you can control worms.

Keep us posted.

MrsB

The other 4 act fine and when I can get some Corid I will, I buried the baby chicks that have died will it spread that way

The other 4 act fine and when I can get some Corid I will, I buried the baby chicks that have died will it spread that way

You should always bury dead and/or dead diseased animals at least 3 feet deep. Stomp the dirt down as yo fill so that it is compacted and as close to hard as the original top layer around it was/is. If you can, the burning of diseased animals is recommended over burial. Sorry for your little chickies.
sad.png

You should always bury dead and/or dead diseased animals at least 3 feet deep. Stomp the dirt down as yo fill so that it is compacted and as close to hard as the original top layer around it was/is. If you can, the burning of diseased animals is recommended over burial. Sorry for your little chickies. :(

Thanks will do

Back
Top Bottom