Baby chicks in late July

jmac11

Chirping
Apr 2, 2023
Oklahoma
Hi, I ordered baby chicks back in march and the soonest pick up date available was mid July. I didn't think anything about it at the time, but now that my first set of chicks are 10 weeks old and my second set of chicks are 5 weeks old, I understand the time and care needed to maintain the correct environment for them.

My concern is that our temps are generally 95 to 105 during mid July with overnights dropping into the 80's. August isn't any better. It's extremely hot and humid with little breeze. Am I better off pushing my pickup date to fall to avoid excessive heat? I'm really concerned about being able to keep them cool after the first few weeks. Please advise.

My coop is extremely well protected and ventilation is good, but there isn't much air moving during the hottest part of summer. It's generally what I would call stifling heat, and we never know how bad it's going to be until it comes and goes.

My coop is extremely well protected and ventilation is good, but there isn't much air moving during the hottest part of summer. It's generally what I would call stifling heat, and we never know how bad it's going to be until it comes and goes.
Awesome! I would put them in the coop starting on day one so they can get used to the heat and they should do just fine.

Back
Top Bottom