baby chicks or teens to introduce to my lonely 4 yr old hen?

michelleh2294

Chirping
Apr 9, 2017
Hi,,,,I had to put down my 4 yr old hen yesterday she had a large tumor,,,,i'm so so sad,,,now I have one hen left and I know she will be so lonely...i feel so bad for her...would it be better to get a few new chicks or a little older to introduce to her and be her new friends?

Honestly I don't think it matters if you do chicks or if you do older pullets. I would do the see but not touch method... You basically put the newer ones in an area where the other one can see them but it can't touch them, you make a barrier with a fence or anything you can use. They just need to be able to see each other.

I would do that for about a week or two and then they can be together.

If you do chicks, the older girl might take to them instantly and want to be a mother hen to them. You wouldn't even need any lighting or anything for them if that happens.

I have done several introductions of chicks into my bigger flock and I have never had any issues with the see but not touch method. Most of the time I can put chicks in there and they will instantly take to them, plus take care of them. I never really have to use any lighting except for the first couple weeks until I introduce them to the flock.

Hi,,,,I had to put down my 4 yr old hen yesterday she had a large tumor,,,,i'm so so sad,,,now I have one hen left and I know she will be so lonely...i feel so bad for her...would it be better to get a few new chicks or a little older to introduce to her and be her new friends?
Keep in mind that you may be sadder than she is. :hugs

When, what, and how you add more birds depends on a few things.
Most important, IMO, is how much space you have and how you can modify it for integration.
Dimensions and pics of your coop and run would help here.

Chicks take up less space and are less of a threat to the 'territory',
but they may need a heat source.
Getting older birds brings the risk of introducing pests and disease.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
1580310981315.png

Back
Top Bottom