Baby chicks outside

leighton3

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 22, 2013
Maine
Hi guys,

So I just picked up 2, 3 week old Americana chicks yesterday. They have feathered out some. I'm just wondering how old they should be before I let them outside for a little while to play. I won't be leaving them outside. Temperature is around 60-65 this weekend. Is it too soon?

They look a little too young to go outside to stay, but a visit outside for an hour or 2 would not hurt. If that is a current pix. We moved ours outside when they were 6 weeks old. I think that is the age that most everyone moves them. I like your little chickies.

Thanks! Yes this was taken last night. I don't plan on leaving them outside for another couple weeks, just wanted to take them outside for an hour or two like you said.
smile.png

I don't see why not. I started letting mine out as soon as the thermometer hit 70. I set up some stuff to block the wind and they had a great time. They were about as feathered as yours but more like 1 1/2 weeks old. I kept it short (an hour or less) that first time. The next time, it was 63ish but sunny and no wind -- that was fine too.

Back
Top Bottom