Baby chicks! What did you get this year/hatching?

We didn't need any but got some anyway!

2 Whiting True Blues girls plus 1 rooster!

Then my daughter wanted to try 3 she didn't get last year . . So 1 of each barred rock, speckles sussex, and chocolate orp!

Picked them up Friday!!

Attachments

• 20230324_120543.jpg
    20230324_120543.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 3
We didn't need any but got some anyway!

2 Whiting True Blues girls plus 1 rooster!

Then my daughter wanted to try 3 she didn't get last year . . So 1 of each barred rock, speckles sussex, and chocolate orp!

Picked them up Friday!!

I'm hoping to get some WTBs when they come into the farm store in June.

We got one black copper marans, one blue copper marans, two olive eggers, and a white leghorn because my daughter wanted a yellow chick.
PXL_20230304_163338931.jpg

Now 6 weeks later Broody Hen is insisting she needs chicks too. So I let her have some barnyard mix eggs from a friend. The rooster is an EE or EE mix of some kind (very muffy and beardy) and the eggs are one white leghorn, two green from EEs, a cream possibly from a speckled Sussex, and a tan possibly from a brahma or a buckeye. Hoping for a 50 percent fertility/hatch rate because I don't need 5 more chicks, but I wanted to give her a good chance of hatching about two. I have no idea how good my friend's rooster is at his job. Now I have to wait, and it's killing me ...
PXL_20230326_165018190.PORTRAIT.jpg

Oh, and my husband has no idea I switched out Broody's eggs. We haven't had a rooster in two years. So if they hatch I'm gonna have to explain that ...

I'm hoping to get some WTBs when they come into the farm store in June.
My local farm guy placed an order back in Nov, I called McM direct and added a roo to his order. He didn't order more than one date this year.

He had no idea they would be so popular I told him they would be. Next year he is ordering for more dates and asking me what others may be in play come fall ha ha ha.

He hid them in one of his back barns off the floor and gave me first pick of the ladies. !

Feeling fortunate . . .

My local farm guy placed an order back in Nov, I called McM direct and added a roo to his order. He didn't order more than one date this year.

He had no idea they would be so popular I told him they would be. Next year he is ordering for more dates and asking me what others may be in play come fall ha ha ha.

He hid them in one of his back barns off the floor and gave me first pick of the ladies. !

Feeling fortunate . . .

If I can't get any chicks maybe we could trade hatching eggs. :D

My farm store is going to have a limit on how many chicks can be purchased and I have to be there right away when they come in or they'll be gone.

We got one black copper marans, one blue copper marans, two olive eggers, and a white leghorn because my daughter wanted a yellow chick.View attachment 3445257

Now 6 weeks later Broody Hen is insisting she needs chicks too. So I let her have some barnyard mix eggs from a friend. The rooster is an EE or EE mix of some kind (very muffy and beardy) and the eggs are one white leghorn, two green from EEs, a cream possibly from a speckled Sussex, and a tan possibly from a brahma or a buckeye. Hoping for a 50 percent fertility/hatch rate because I don't need 5 more chicks, but I wanted to give her a good chance of hatching about two. I have no idea how good my friend's rooster is at his job. Now I have to wait, and it's killing me ...View attachment 3445256
Oh, and my husband has no idea I switched out Broody's eggs. We haven't had a rooster in two years. So if they hatch I'm gonna have to explain that ...
I’m curious… we don’t plan on keeping any roosters. But If the shtf soon, banking etc, we will, regardless of our closest neighbors desires for us not to have any roosters. They would benefit too, eventually.
I thought about buying hatching eggs, if we don’t keep a rooster.
Is it better to use a broody hen for hatching, or an incubator? I have no idea how it works,in practice, so I thought I’d ask this community.

If I can't get any chicks maybe we could trade hatching eggs. :D

My farm store is going to have a limit on how many chicks can be purchased and I have to be there right away when they come in or they'll be gone.
You bet I would!!!

I actually wanted more of these but figured I could hopefully just hatch more down the line.

Another whole adventure to learn!

Last edited:
I’m curious… we don’t plan on keeping any roosters. But If the shtf soon, banking etc, we will, regardless of our closest neighbors desires for us not to have any roosters. They would benefit too, eventually.
I thought about buying hatching eggs, if we don’t keep a rooster.
Is it better to use a broody hen for hatching, or an incubator? I have no idea how it works,in practice, so I thought I’d ask this community.
Broodys are easier, but not reliable. If you want a small incubator (fits 12) & is user friendly, check out the Kebonnix (under $100).

Back
Top Bottom