Baby chicks wings dragging, what does this mean?

Are they the same birds that had been drooping their wings, Shay? If so, I'm so sorry, they may not have been able to rehydrate and metabolize despite your best efforts.

If you can identify any of the survivors I'd pick them out and keep them out for a few days, just in case it's something communicable. Chilled chicks often have their immune systems compromised.

I think one was one of them, but the other not sure, i still have 2 seperated i did not put those back yet, so ill keep them right where they are. They where doing soo good.

That's a good plan, Shay. They are so vulnerable at this stage, and you'll be able to watch their behavior. If more do succumb, at least you know you have taken out the ones most likely to threaten the greater portion of your young flock. Be sure to wash your hands before handling the bigger group if you've been with the others, and chuck your clothes in the laundry more often than usual just in case...

Last edited:
Good idea. i hope they will be ok, i think im gonna get some terrimicen tomoorow to make sure nothing else is going on, i know just s tiney bit of that to them. Thanks.

That's a nice story about the vet, LynneP. I mean, it's absolutely tragic, of course. But so true, that there is not one of us in this world that never makes a mistake, and you can be sure that vet will carry that to his grave. He will be a better vet because of it. Thanks for sharing. And hang in there, Shay20.

so far none dead today, they look good running around and eating, although i lost one that i hatched i belive to something different, i could tell there was something wrong when it was born. but the others are ok today.

That's great news Shay, about the remaining two, I mean. Sorry about the hatchling, I know that some incubators have spots that are not so good for heating and maintaining a consistent environment, and there is always a chance that the chick had a genetic flaw. You're learning so much! I wanted to ask if the chicks that had drooping wings were of the same type, or from the same batch...

Nice thing about terramycin is that if you feel a need to intervene with the larger group you have that option. In the water, I'm thinking, with electrolytes? You can buy the powder mixed that way.

songbird- That vet is terrific, plus he rides cross-country and breeds warmbloods. I trust him implicitly...

i cant belive i lost another one and one is loooking really bad. do you think they have a virus or something ? becouse the temp is normall.

Are they spread out, using the the entire length of the brooder, now? Or do they continue to cluster up under the light?
What is the temperature of the room the brooder is in?

A 125 watt heat lamp (in a reflector/clamp fixture) clamped to and above one end of the brooder and a section of old sheet draped over the other (easy to adjust the amount of light/heat by clamping higher/lower and adjust the sheet so they get more or less of it depending on their behavior.

They are probably very warm next to the light, but if the room is considerably cooler, the drafting is probably giving them trouble anywhere they move away from the source of heat.

Did you measure the temp. directly below the light at the same distance the chick's heads are from it? The chicks with the droopy wings (if this is an environmental effect and not disease) could have been from being crowded directly under/beside the light and becoming too hot (wings drooping).

Just trying to think of a reason that hasn't already been well covered by previous posters.

ed:clarity

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom