Baby Cortunix Quail Help. Splayed leg? Not improving.

Feb 17, 2021
Hello! I picked up 12 quail chicks last Wednesday (they were 1 week old yesterday)and one of them seems to have a splayed legs on the right side. (At least, that's what I think it is. We are new to quail). We started putting it in a leg brace (vetwrap tape) to try to improve it's walking 2 days ago but it doesn't seem to be improving. The larger chicks pick on it, so I moved it to a separate box for the next day, to see if that helps at all but now the chick just flops onto it's belly and can't get up. Any other suggestions on how to help it? Can it survive with a gimpy leg? It seems to be eating and drinking ok (other than getting stuck in the feeder because it's still small. I put another chick in the separate box with it too, so it wasn't alone. Should I keep that chick in there or put it back in the big brooder?
I really don't want this chick to die but I'm not sure how to save it.

Any help would be appreciated.

20210221_183338.jpg

I don't think that's splay leg. I'm guessing a slipped tendon or other injury. It also doesn't look to be more than 3 days old. I would cull it, personally.

If you are willing to spend the time on a chick that you don't want to breed and will probably always be lame, you can try to keep the leg braced and make sure it stays warm with food and water nearby. Be aware that if you do this, it still might not thrive, and it might well pass away on its own.

I agree with nabiki, that looks more like a bone deformity, it looks to twist out at the hock (knee) not the hip. A splay will do the splits at the hip. I hatched eggs that several had leg bone deformities, and within 2 weeks most had slipped tendons so they were even worse off, at least the crooked leg somewhat held weight, but once the tendon slipped they couldn’t stand at all. I eventually culled or sold the bent leggers to a snake breeder, the quality of life was very low.

I don't think that's splay leg. I'm guessing a slipped tendon or other injury. It also doesn't look to be more than 3 days old. I would cull it, personally.

If you are willing to spend the time on a chick that you don't want to breed and will probably always be lame, you can try to keep the leg braced and make sure it stays warm with food and water nearby. Be aware that if you do this, it still might not thrive, and it might well pass away on its own.
Thank you. I was worried it wasn't a splayed leg.
As far as I know the chicks are all 8 days old. They have been with almost 5 days, so I know they are at least that old. I was told they were all hatched out on 2/12 and 2/13.

We will probably cull it because it's being picked on and I assume won't make it anyway. I'd rather it just goes quickly rather than

I agree with nabiki, that looks more like a bone deformity, it looks to twist out at the hock (knee) not the hip. A splay will do the splits at the hip. I hatched eggs that several had leg bone deformities, and within 2 weeks most had slipped tendons so they were even worse off, at least the crooked leg somewhat held weight, but once the tendon slipped they couldn’t stand at all. I eventually culled or sold the bent leggers to a snake breeder, the quality of life was very low.
Thank you for your help. I think we are going to cull it in the morning. I'm sad but it's for the best I think.

Back
Top Bottom