Baby dove feeding?

lightchick

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 3, 2014
Minnesota
I just found a baby dove on the ground and I would of left it but it seems to be very weak and it's crop is empty. I used to breed pigeons so I know something about care but not much. Will feeding it gamebird starter work? I also have layer feed.
I was thinking of feeding crushed starter with a little water, yogurt and vitamins. That's what I give my coturnix chicks so I'm assuming that will work. Any other advice? Not sure about the age.

Last edited:
Here a pic. Do I need to warm to mixture up beforehand? The baby is under a heatlamp.

Last edited:
That mix sounds fine. I use only chicken chick starter mixed with warm water.

Yes, its best to warm the mixture first... not too hot! If too hot it will burn the crop, and if too cold it will chill the bird or cause slow crop.. where the feed it digested too slowly and blocks up the crop.

I found it a really good idea to mix in some stewed apples with the mix if the birds crop is slow to empty.

Good luck!

And remember only to feed it when the crop is empty... don't add new food on top of the old stuff.. or can get bacteria growing in the crop.

Ok I don't know how to post anyway I found a baby dove in my park there were two one could fly the other can't I caught the small baby and I'm not sure how to care for it. He can't eat or drink on his own. His 2 weeks old I think so. What should I do?

Back
Top Bottom