Baby duck advice - Please help!

Frenchielatina

Hatching
Aug 2, 2017
These baby ducks are roaming around the neighborhood. People have been handling them and they are following everyone. Mom hasn't been around for a few days they said. Can they survive on their own or do they need to be taken to a wildlife conservation? I am just seeing them now and I'm worried.

Attachments

• E79AB54E-0486-4DEB-8456-0EB27BDA8FF4.jpg
    E79AB54E-0486-4DEB-8456-0EB27BDA8FF4.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 4
Hello!

They will get killed if they are left to their own devices at that age. I would call a wildlife rehab center asap. And corrall them into a smaller area if you can, so that they're safe. Cats, stray dogs, etc. could easily take them all out at their size.

Our neighborhood is newly developed so we haven't seen any type of wildlife such as stray cats or dogs. The only thing I've seen daily is big toads and sometimes other ducks and birds when they come to the pond so I think they are safe from other wildlife. But I will happily take them to a wildlife conservation if you think it's safer for them. Thank you for replying so quickly. It's dark here in miami and I'm worried about them all alone at night.

Someone may come in and correct me but they just seem very very small to be out on their own. Still covered in baby down...

You're very welcome! I am far from an expert duck person, just giving my opinion and wishing the best for the little ducklings! :)

I have to agree with sannabelle, seems like baby ducks are high on the food list for any wild animal. If you haven't seen the mom for a few days, something probably happened to her. The mamas are always close by for ducklings that young.

Even snakes can eat ducklings that size so yes get them safe till you can contact a water fowl rehabbers. And don't believe you don't have preds they are every where including very large cities.

Thank you for caring.

Please let us know how they are doing
and Welcome to BYC

Back
Top Bottom