baby duck has absorbed the yolk sac but it has a big protruding bellybutton

fluffythewolfchild

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2021
Duckling has been hatching for 4 days and finally got out of its shell but it has a protruding belly button and is trying to peep but no sound is coming out. I put some bacitracin on the belly button stump to help with infection and drying out. What do you think?

20210622_132608.jpg
20210622_132545.jpg

Most of the time that will go down and be just fine in a few hours.
You may wanna prop it up in a little bowl or cup so it doesn't flip over on its back and put it back in the incubator for awhile.

I agree with above poster. I have had a couple come out like this & I just plop it into a cup to relax for a bit & they eventually get their energy up & the swelling goes down.

I put it in between some rolled up hand towels to keep it from flopping on its side. The belly button is still protruding a lot but it looks like it has gone down a bit. it looks like the neck has stretched out but the legs are still pretty curled up. It's breathing and accepting a few drops of water and it still keeps trying to flop into more comfortable sleeping positions. It's been about 4 hours, how long should I keep it humid and warm? we don't have an incubator just a warm mist humidifier in a big plastic tote that is around 99 degrees. ( we didn't plan on incubating or even letting our ducks sit on eggs but their mom is a good hider and we didn't realize she was sitting on a nest until they were almost 18 days along!)

I put it in between some rolled up hand towels to keep it from flopping on its side. The belly button is still protruding a lot but it looks like it has gone down a bit. it looks like the neck has stretched out but the legs are still pretty curled up. It's breathing and accepting a few drops of water and it still keeps trying to flop into more comfortable sleeping positions. It's been about 4 hours, how long should I keep it humid and warm? we don't have an incubator just a warm mist humidifier in a big plastic tote that is around 99 degrees. ( we didn't plan on incubating or even letting our ducks sit on eggs but their mom is a good hider and we didn't realize she was sitting on a nest until they were almost 18 days along!)
It doesn't need the humidy now really. Just the warmth.

It doesnt have to be 99 now either. I run my brooder at about 85 to 90 degrees in the warmest spot for the for few days.

Back
Top Bottom