Baby duck is having trouble walking

luvmychix

Crowing
15 Years
Sep 8, 2008
it is a Rouen baby i ordered from Ideal that i got on the 6th. all the other babies are doing ok but he can not walk on his own. he will use the wall some to lean on to try to walk other than that he just falls over on his sade and kicks untill he manages to get back to the wall to help him walk again. he is eating and drinking well too. any ideas on how to fix this? thanks.

I have a 2 month old duck that came from Ideal. "Wobbles" came in a hatchery choice package of 20 ducklings, including several crested. Wobbles had problems from the very beginning, and when called, Ideal indicated that sometimes crested ducks have "balance issues".

We pulled him almost right away from the rest of the flock, to allow him better access to food and water and to lessen the number of times he's simply run over by the other more mobile ducks. He eats and drinks well, though now usually only when I support his with my hand.

Wobbles has continued to get worse... at first he'd do what you describe, hug the wall, and could get around okay. Now that he's bigger the problem has just gotten worse and he spends most of his time on his back, flailing about. So much so that today I called a good friend of mine to ask him to "take care of" Wobbie for me. I can't kill the little guy, and neither can my husband who has been a hunter since he was a young kid. Thankfully, our friend can do the deed for us.

What makes it so much worse is that Wobbles is SO trusting and friendly. He loves to be held, in fact he can only groom himself when he's being supported.

So... sorry for the long post, but that's been our experience. I can't tell you how much I hope your duckling doesn't have the same problem. I'm sure gonna miss the little guy....
hit.gif

well, I did get some crested ducklings in the mix but from what i can tell, he is not one of the cresteds, so maybe it is something else, i dont know. I know what you mean.. I would hate to have to kill him but if he can't live a normal life and if i can not find something to help or fix the problem, well....... i will have to do it.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom