Baby duck panting /rapid body motions

I used puppy pee pads in my brooder never had a problem at 2 weeks I added pine shavings. I don’t want to go against someone’s else’s suggestion but I would not put your duckling in cool water might be too much of a shock. Just like it’s better to let them drink warmish water for their first week.I have also never had my brooder heat any higher than 85 to start.Then drop the temp 5 degree each week there after. This is just how I have done we all have our own way of doing things.

Last edited:
I used puppy pee pads in my brooder never had a problem at 2 weeks I added pine shavings. I don’t want to go against someone’s else’s suggestion but I would not put your duckling in cool water might be too much of a shock. Just like it’s better to let them drink warmish water for their first week.I have also never had my brooder heat any higher than 85 to start.Then drop the temp 5 degree each week there after. This is just how I have done we all have our own way of doing things.
I was replying under de impression the overheating issue was not completely ruled out yet. It was before the two posts merged ☺️

I also wouldn’t use cold water when they are so small ( although it might nog hurt them as their mommy takes them swimming in the cold water very soon after they hatch). However I personally would use lukewarm water with healthy ducklings.

But of course not when you know the duckling has pneumonia or something else 💛

Mamas have spread their oils over their ducklings which helps to waterproof them and insulate them, where those we brood have to learn to do it themselves.
I respect what you are saying that is why I said this is my way of doing things. :)

Early this morning he passed away. I tried so hard to medicate him and get him the help he needed, but he just didn't improve. He was only 10 days old from hatch, but the pain I feel losing him is no different than losing some of my long time pets.

If I could go back in time I would have got him help sooner. I noticed he was a little bit slower than the other 2 ducks on Saturday. On Sunday, you could see his body visibly moving while breathing. Took him straight to an emergency vet and started antibiotics. Maybe it was blind optimism, but on Monday I thought he seemed a little better. I would occasionally catch him pecking at the food. On Tuesday, we could see a noticeable change for the worse. He didn't have enough energy to walk around more than a step or 2. His breathing was labored. This morning, it seemed like death was inevitable and when checking on him a couple hours later he was gone.

I just want to thank everyone here for trying to help me, and giving encouraging and helpful information. I don't know what went wrong with him. Maybe a respiratory infection, maybe he inhaled water which led to pneumonia, enlarged heart, disease. Whatever it was felt untreatable. I changed their bedding multiple times a day, gave them clean water, and food. Provided plenty of heat and kept the box in a healthy range. I don't know what I could have did differently, or that anything I could have done would have prevented this. That little guy has forever altered me.

I'm so sorry for your loss :hugs
Could have been something went wrong in the egg during incubation just so hard to know but you did all you could so please don't feel guilty.

Back
Top Bottom