Baby duck with excess fluid in his egg?

Mariella posey

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
This guy is due to hatch 6/3 but today some of his siblings started to pip and I noticed his egg was dark in a lot of spots, and that usually means the duckling is dead inside, so I candled him and saw what I was expecting to see "Fluid in the air cell" but then I noticed he was still gasping inside his egg meaning he's still alive! I opened his air cell and cleared the membrane from his nostrils but there is a green-colored fluid all over the place in there? I used a Q-tip to get the fluid away from his face so he can breathe without inhaling it but he's still gasping. It looks like all of the veins in the air cell are gone, does that mean he's too far gone? Or is he ready to come out? is there any chance he will make it?

This guy is due to hatch 6/3 but today some of his siblings started to pip and I noticed his egg was dark in a lot of spots, and that usually means the duckling is dead inside, so I candled him and saw what I was expecting to see "Fluid in the air cell" but then I noticed he was still gasping inside his egg meaning he's still alive! I opened his air cell and cleared the membrane from his nostrils but there is a green-colored fluid all over the place in there? I used a Q-tip to get the fluid away from his face so he can breathe without inhaling it but he's still gasping. It looks like all of the veins in the air cell are gone, does that mean he's too far gone? Or is he ready to come out? is there any chance he will make it?
Yeah, try to take him out. If there are no veins it means he's about ready. Get him out if you can. Any blood or veins or yolk, stop though.

He didn't make it :(
I went to check on him and he was dead already, it looked like he had a bit of egg whites left? He hadn't even started absorbing his yolk yet so I guess the lack of veins meant he was too far gone. His yolk looked kinda weird, it was round with two bubbles of yolk poking out the sides.

He didn't make it :(
I went to check on him and he was dead already, it looked like he had a bit of egg whites left? He hadn't even started absorbing his yolk yet so I guess the lack of veins meant he was too far gone. His yolk looked kinda weird, it was round with two bubbles of yolk poking out the sides.
Aw, I'm sorry. Did you take any pics? It wasn't your fault.

Back
Top Bottom