baby duck with lots of problems

Turbo is still with us. Eatting and drinking and he's flipping upside down. I wish I could make him some training wheels to keep him right side up. It's like his head is to heavy for his little body.

He doesn't like the taste of the vitamins. I even tried putting the vitamins in his applesauce. Then he wouldn't touch the applesauce after getting a taste of the vitamins. He is a character. It takes two people to give a tiny duck his vitamins. My husband is a big help with him. He loves him as much as I do.

I'll keep you updated and we are still wishing for that miracle.

Patty

Turbo is still with us. Eatting and drinking and he's flipping upside down. I wish I could make him some training wheels to keep him right side up. It's like his head is to heavy for his little body.

He doesn't like the taste of the vitamins. I even tried putting the vitamins in his applesauce. Then he wouldn't touch the applesauce after getting a taste of the vitamins. He is a character. It takes two people to give a tiny duck his vitamins. My husband is a big help with him. He loves him as much as I do.

I'll keep you updated and we are still wishing for that miracle.

Patty

Does he flip when he is in the donut? I know those vitamins are so nasty tasting. can't think of any way to give them though cause like you said he will be able to taste them no matter what. So happy to hear he is still with you. Hang in there.

I tried making a donut out of a dishtowel and he climbs right out of it. Those little legs of his are powerful. When he flips over he has those legs going 80 miles an hour. I put a rubber place mat down in his cage and it's helping him with his traction. I guess every Turbo needs good traction. We put him in the bathroom sink to do a little swimming. He was paddling around like a pro. I think that might build up his leg muscles and help him to walk better.

He doesn't cry at all but he does make a little peeping noise right before he goes to the bathroom. I guess thats his warning to us to get the paper towels ready. He really isn't spoiled at all he gets held at least 6 hours a day and he sleeps in his towel in our bed at night. I can't stand the thought of him flipped upside down all night in his cage waiting for someone to get up and put him right side up. Hopefully some day soon he will walk on the floor instead of trying to walk on the ceiling.

Thanks for your concern and interest in our lil turbo and all the help. I really appreciate it.

patty

I tried making a donut out of a dishtowel and he climbs right out of it. Those little legs of his are powerful. When he flips over he has those legs going 80 miles an hour. I put a rubber place mat down in his cage and it's helping him with his traction. I guess every Turbo needs good traction. We put him in the bathroom sink to do a little swimming. He was paddling around like a pro. I think that might build up his leg muscles and help him to walk better.

He doesn't cry at all but he does make a little peeping noise right before he goes to the bathroom. I guess thats his warning to us to get the paper towels ready. He really isn't spoiled at all he gets held at least 6 hours a day and he sleeps in his towel in our bed at night. I can't stand the thought of him flipped upside down all night in his cage waiting for someone to get up and put him right side up. Hopefully some day soon he will walk on the floor instead of trying to walk on the ceiling.

Thanks for your concern and interest in our lil turbo and all the help. I really appreciate it.

patty
It needs to be a thicker towel something substantial to prop him up. That is so sweet how much you are caring for him Bless his heart I hope all your doing pays off and soon he will be upright on the floor. Have you thought of making some kind of sling[baby carrier] that you could put over one shoulder that way you could carry him where ever you go and have your hands free. Maybe towels and safety pens? Piece of old blanket you don't use anymore? And if you have a TSC or feed store close by check on Poultry Nutri drench it is another that can be given directly into mouth goes straight into blood stream and I really like this product I use it all the time for newly hatched ducklings /chicks. He may like it better. too. You can also put it into the waterer he is using. Oh and yes giving Turbo some traction will help also letting him have swim time is really good warm water only but I'm sure you know that.

Last edited:
I am afraid that Turbo is getting weaker. He is sneezing a lot too. I am going to call tractor supply to see if they have the nutridrench. Can you think of anything else that might help him?

Thanks so much keep Turbo in your prayers please.
Patty

I am afraid that Turbo is getting weaker. He is sneezing a lot too. I am going to call tractor supply to see if they have the nutridrench. Can you think of anything else that might help him?

Thanks so much keep Turbo in your prayers please.
Patty
Poor baby he has so much stacked against him I can't think of a thing other than just the supportive care your giving him I know on the Nutri Drench bottle says rapidly delivers energy and essential nutrients. Increases speed of assimilation and bio availability As far as an antibiotic I wouldn't know what to rec. not knowing what all is going on.
I hate to say it but there could be alot more things wrong than what your seeing outwardly too.
When he has been in the water it has been warm right, no chilling?
I will be praying.
hugs.gif

I called tractor supply and they are holding the nutridrench for us. His bath water was always warm. This morning he didn't swim as he did yesterday. I wrap him in a wash rag to get him dry. He didn't eat very much this morning. I mixed applesauce with crumbles and egg yolk mixed in. I even heat it up for him in the microwave.

Thanks for the prayers and all the help. I've got about 15 baby ducks all running around happy and healthy but Turbo has a special place in my heart.

Patty

I called tractor supply and they are holding the nutridrench for us. His bath water was always warm. This morning he didn't swim as he did yesterday. I wrap him in a wash rag to get him dry. He didn't eat very much this morning. I mixed applesauce with crumbles and egg yolk mixed in. I even heat it up for him in the microwave.

Thanks for the prayers and all the help. I've got about 15 baby ducks all running around happy and healthy but Turbo has a special place in my heart.

Patty
I know he does. Keep encouraging him to eat and drink, hopefully the nutri drench will help when I have to give it straight I use a small syringe with out the needle of course and just dribble it along the bill you'll lose alot of it but they will also get it, or just open his mouth a little and put it in that way. Straight into his mouth no water added and then into his drinking water.
fl.gif

Thanks for the prayers Deb and Miss Lydia he needs all the help he can get. While my husband went to tractor supply I got the food back out to see if he would eat any. One bite out of the spoon and he was finished. I put his chick starter in a little bowl and he started gobbling it down. It was dry and straight from the bag. I'm glad to find something he will eat and it sure is alot easier then the applesauce, crumbles and boiled egg. He ate and drank of course for 20 minutes.

We got the nutri drench and I put a drop straight in his mouth. It was like wrestling with a summa wrestler but we got it down him. I also put some in his water dish.

He's laying now under his light in his donut towel. Bless his little heart he's a trooper. I was so happy to see him gobbling down that food. There is still hope thank goodness.

Patty

Back
Top Bottom