Baby Duckling Broken Blood Feather?

Angelicducklings

Hatching
Jun 16, 2021
Hello,
I'm basically a young duck farmer ( around 16 to 17) But I had this one alone male duck who did have friends before but it's a long story.. I was able to get 4 more who are now around 1 month to like 1 month and a half now? They're now just growing their feathers but my adult male seemed to have broken 2 of the younger ducks I think blood feathers and I'm not sure what to do, I've never had my ducks break one before. It started maybe a 2 days ago and I've been researching everywhere about what to do I hear you're supposed to pluck it but they're just babies and I didn't see anything about babies breaking one? I was able to stop the bleeding with a bit of cornstarch and I've been trying to keep them clean of the dried blood so I could see what was going on but it seemed like some had broken atleast 1-3. I have separated off the 2 younger ones from the a little older ones (older ones I mean like a week older but they have more developed feathers now) and the adult a while ago to keep them from redrawing blood. I don't know if I'm doing the right thing by just leaving it, again the bleeding seemed to stop and the feather already had small feathers growing. Basically I'm asking whether I should try to pluck them or leave them. I'm worried about plucking a baby's wing as they're more fragile than the adults. I'm scared to do anything because I've never heard of this happening until now. I'm the most experienced out of my family but not as experienced as someone whose had ducks for years and years so I came to this forum. I've been super worried about them, I'm really attached to these ducks if anyone has any suggestions please do let me know..

:welcome They should be fine without plucking the damaged feathers, but keep them separated until the blood feathers have hardened/matured.

@Angelicducklings if your keeping month old ducklings with a mature drake May I suggest you don't. Mature drakes will try and mate with young birds and can cause death or serious injury. it's best to wait till ducklings are at least 4.5 months old and ready to lay before introducing a drake into the mix. The best way to start off this relationship is to have each group in 2 areas but close enough they can see each other. That way they get use to each other but ducklings are safe from a sexually mature drake.

:welcome

@Angelicducklings if your keeping month old ducklings with a mature drake May I suggest you don't. Mature drakes will try and mate with young birds and can cause death or serious injury. it's best to wait till ducklings are at least 4.5 months old and ready to lay before introducing a drake into the mix. The best way to start off this relationship is to have each group in 2 areas but close enough they can see each other. That way they get use to each other but ducklings are safe from a sexually mature drake.

:welcome
Oh Yeah I'm aware I've seen what male ducks can do, they've been in 2 separate pens but can still see each other. I've been trying to introduce him when we first go him ( through cages obviously) but he got attached to my dog so itll probably be a while till he gets used to them. My younger ones happened to get bit while I wasn't watching I was feeding another animal and didnt put them in their outdoor pen yet thought it would of been nice so they weren't cooped up but I guess I was wrong. But thank you! ❤

Back
Top Bottom