Baby Duckling is weak please help :(

Yorkshire,
Do you do alot of duckling hatchings? When my Momma Goosy ( my female ducks name ) started laying eggs she had laid a good 12 and 2 in the pool and 3 soft shells. Shes about 5.5 months old. This is her first round of eggs. She and our 2 drakes are pets and indoors.
The female had devolped foor issues and off to the vet we went, she needed vitiman supplements and extra calcium. She was back up and going.
In the mixed of this she stoped laying eggs. Also is moulting. Losing loads of feathers. Mainly her flight wings. Her largest ones. Being she is indoors will she start relaying soon?

Also another question is we still have 8 eggs in the incubator. The last few my Daughter put in and didnt date. So im clueless as to when there ready to hatch. 4 have died there progress has done nothing past the first stages. There are 4 that are fully ready to hatch. Air sacks are proper. They apear ready. No signs movement though. No pip or zips or rocking. Do you have any advice for me on what to look for in the next 4 that are due. One is due to hatch on the 12th.

I use google for all my researching and i also read forums non stop. I don't feel i can ever learn to much :)

Also do you know an approximant weight of a newly hatched duck?

Pumpkin weighed 0.70 ounces is that averae for a Pekin Duckling? His egg was very small compaired to the others size.

Again Dear Friends, Thank you for your time, concerns, and advice ;-)

No I don't do a lot of ducklings but the principles are the same as chicks. As pumpkin was a duckling of the first legs she laid the problems with it would not be uncommon many people wait untill they have been laying for 4-6 weeks before incubating them. Incubation starts with the egg. A good quality egg should always produce a healthy embryo. As you said she needed calcium from the vet if she has had a lack of it this would have produced a weak shell.
During molt most birds stop laying and is just a natural thing so she should resume laying.

Your four eggs that are due sound normal if they are full and air sac looks good. I would just keep the humidity up and don't open the incubator no matter how tempted you are. Opening will lose the humidity and they could easily become shrink wrapped in the egg and they will never hatch. I'm afraid you can't change what is happening in the egg and being patient is the only thing you can do. If you are doing a staggered hatch ie they don't all have the same due date this makes it very difficult. As opening will lose humidity but some eggs may need turning? No turning and they can become stuck in the egg and die.

Sorry but don't have an answer on how much they should weigh it's not something I do.

If you have a duckling with this issue (can't keep it's balance is what he says) maybe what's done in this video will help. I added a timestamp to the link closer to the part where he shows what he does. Keeps the duckling stationary in a sock for the night.

mine is going back into the position he was inside the egg. i was watching the video and he started kicking. wont hold his head up. please help someone

Yorkshire,
Do you do alot of duckling hatchings? When my Momma Goosy ( my female ducks name ) started laying eggs she had laid a good 12 and 2 in the pool and 3 soft shells. Shes about 5.5 months old. This is her first round of eggs. She and our 2 drakes are pets and indoors.
The female had devolped foor issues and off to the vet we went, she needed vitiman supplements and extra calcium. She was back up and going.
In the mixed of this she stoped laying eggs. Also is moulting. Losing loads of feathers. Mainly her flight wings. Her largest ones. Being she is indoors will she start relaying soon?

Also another question is we still have 8 eggs in the incubator. The last few my Daughter put in and didnt date. So im clueless as to when there ready to hatch. 4 have died there progress has done nothing past the first stages. There are 4 that are fully ready to hatch. Air sacks are proper. They apear ready. No signs movement though. No pip or zips or rocking. Do you have any advice for me on what to look for in the next 4 that are due. One is due to hatch on the 12th.

I use google for all my researching and i also read forums non stop. I don't feel i can ever learn to much :)

Also do you know an approximant weight of a newly hatched duck?

Pumpkin weighed 0.70 ounces is that averae for a Pekin Duckling? His egg was very small compaired to the others size.

Again Dear Friends, Thank you for your time, concerns, and advice ;-)
This explains Pumpkin. A ducks first eggs are small and have a high mortality rate. You should probably let them lay 4 to 6 weeks before attempting to hatch. I have tried to hatch first eggs because I lost the mother. It's really difficult and you got farther with P umpkin than I did. when she starts laying again, eat the first 3 or 4, then start trying to hatch again. You can save them on the counter for 3 or 4 days before setting so you can get 4 at a time. Staggerd batches are hard. I've done them but they require extra effort.

he is now starting to walk, tumbling a lot but hes trying, and nibble his crumb on his own. i hope he doesnt just keel over :( he's been by my side in my room this whole time. i mixed his crumb with water, and strained it, then dripped the solution into his mouth a few drops at a time, letting him swallow after each time. hes still sleepy but is trying to get up now. he was an assisted hatch as he could barely get through the membrane, let alone the shell, so maybe he is a weak chick. i'm fully prepared to nurse him 24/7, and i got up every few hours in the night to drip some more food solution. he's been drinking sips of water with biocare vitasorb B so that might have helped.

Back
Top Bottom