Baby goat, bottle refusal, frusterating!

hit.gif
I am so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif
to you.

Quote:
Why on earth didn't the seller make sure they were bottle feeding before separating them from their mother?

Snowhunter, I'm so sorry for your loss!!! One think for those not taking the bottle....In rare occasions goats can have cleft palate and literally cannot suckle. We have a wooden large baby box made and bring the babies into the house as we bottle feed them. If a baby goat doesn't nurse well, you can also give caplets of Vitamin E, This gives them a boost and activates and motivates them. We also give them bottles of their mothers colostrum and I can get the ounces that we try to get into them those first 24 hours. We literally set the clock for every 4 hours.

Another important trick is to wipe their "backside" with a warm damp cloth, gently, This somehow motivates them to want to drink... It was likely be that there was something wrong with the poor baby but I know your heart is aching. Love and prayers and thoughts go to you. Nancy

Quote:
Why on earth didn't the seller make sure they were bottle feeding before separating them from their mother?

she sayed they were doing good on the bottle i hope i dont lose her it will be really sad for me
hit.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

she sayed they were doing good on the bottle i hope i dont lose her it will be really sad for me
hit.gif

Okay did you see my earlier post about wiping them to help motivate drinking as well as Vitamin E.

Did you ask the owner what she was feeding them.

How old are they?

What are they now drinking?

Also another trick is to put a bit of the warm milk on your smallest finger and then get them to drink that and quickly put the bottle in. Another tip is to shield the eyes of the baby goat because it a typical situation while with mother, they are in a darker environment and often have closed eyes.

We also cut the bottle nipple a bit larger for the little baby goat as they are just learning to drink and this makes it a little easier for them.

You also need to ask the owner if she has given the babies any shots or medicines! Please pm me if we can help.Take care. Nancy

Quote:

hit.gif

Is she not wanting to suck, or spitting the teat out, or hard to catch?

Sounds like she needs to get t o the vet to get on supportive fluids...
She may be low on sugar and dehydrated... they wont suck if they are sick like that.
Once they dont eat for so long..you HAVE TO get something in them to get their sugar up...or they will NOT eat.
ALSO...is she warm enough? They wont eat if they are too cold either.
I'd get that baby to a vet right away...

Are you holding the nipple IN her mouth?? Tilt her head up ..put the nipple IN her mouth... and hold you rhand around her mouth so she cant spit the nipple out.
What kind of nipple are you using? A regular baby bottle..or a red goat nipple? The baby bottles didnt work for us..we had to use those red nipple with the ball bearings in them...

She just may be too weak/sick now to suck...
sad.png

Last edited:
I am currently feeding twins. My male willingly takes the bottle but the female is stubborn. I've been tube feeding her. She doesn't like that either, but she can't have it both ways. I've been pretty successful so far with tube feeding. I am hoping she sees her brother take the bottle and finally figures it out.

Back
Top Bottom