Baby goats

Franklin25

In the Brooder
May 4, 2016
Hi! I have 2 baby goats that came from very poor situations. This is my second time with bottle babies but I have a lot of questions/concerns. The male I have is 5 weeks old and overall is doing well, he is on Dumor goat milk replacer, he gets 12 ounces three times a day and has free access to hay. I think he has some type of mite, he is very itchy. I also have not dewormed him or treated him for coccidia, is that something to do now? And if so, what kind and what is the dose?

My second one is a tiny female, her supposed birthday puts her at only 10 days old. She was apparently one of three and mom died. She was initially doing well but now she is not. She's lethargic and shivering even when warm and she's lost weight. She is on manna pro kid replacer (what she was on when she ended up with me, I was told not to switch it). I think I messed up with her however, I dont think I'm making the formula correctly. It does not have good directions, I am currently making it by doing 1/4 cup of the formula powder and 1.5 cups of water and giving her 3 ounces per feeding every 4 hours but not through the night. Can anyone help me on if I'm even making it up right and if there's anything I can do for her?

Thank you so so much!

The male is supposedly a nubian but he looks nothing like one

The female is supposed to be a alpine/nubian cross. She's very small, smaller then my cat

Do you have an account on our sister site?..
BackYardHerds.com
It is very useful for me and my herd.
We worm with cydecton and use sulmet for coccidia.
Does he have scours? That would indicate coccidia. Only treat if they have coccidia. Only treat for worms if they have worms.
Pull down his eye lid and check if the inner lid is either pink or white. White would indicate anemic.
Is the poo in tiny berries or clumped or wet?

Last edited:
I wrote this on the back of my MannPro Kid Milk bag...
20171223_123329.jpg

1/3 cup powder to 1 cup water. Get it warm. Don't store it mixed for very long. Always use a fresh mixture.
Do your have nutridrench for goats as well?

Last edited:
Do you have an account on our sister site?..
BackYardHerds.com
It is very usefull for me and my herd.
We worm with cydecton and use sulmet for coccidia.
Does he have scours? That would indicate coccidia.
Pull down his eye lid and check if the inner lid is either pink or white. White would indicate anemic.

I tried to get on that one was I dont think I was doing it right. I'll check his eyes! Thank you

I wrote this on the back of my MannPro Kid Milk bag...View attachment 1216316
1/3 cup powder to 1 cup water. Get it warm. Don't store it moxed. Always use a fresh mixture.
Do your have nutridrench for goats as well?

Okay! I'll try that, I was for sure not adding even close to enough powder. I feel terrible about it. I can get some nutridrench today!

Just my opinion, but I raised goats for over 40 years. The first thing I would do is ditch the replacer. Some kids can digest it and some kids just can't. I raised most of my kids on milk, either goat or cow. You can use store milk straight from the jug, but this is a formula that works very well, particularly on Boer kids and mini goats. Take a gallon jug of whole milk from the store and pour off about a quart. Add to the jug a cup of buttermilk and a can of evaporated milk. Fill the jug up with some of the milk you poured off and shake to mix. If you switch from the replacer to this or any other formula, do it gradually. I would give some BoSe because selenium deficiencies are very common in many parts of the country, and the symptoms of such a deficiency vary. You might go the the health food store or the health food section of the grocery and get some live acidopholis (sp) culture and add some to the milk. It comes in both liquid and powder forms and will help with digestion. It wouldn't hurt to treat the kids for coccidia. As for the itchiness, it sounds like lice. They are sometimes very hard to see but they are easy to get rid of. Just apply some louse powder along the backbone. It is safe. The shivering and the lethargy would make me suspect pneumonia. If it were my kid I would put her on penicillin. Maybe two or three cc's for 5 days.

Back
Top Bottom