Baby! Help!

solidsnake

Chirping
Jul 25, 2018
California
I just got 2 new chicks, less than a week old. One is a BR who is basically always asleep. The other is a RIR and the one I'm having trouble with. She screams until I pick her up and coddle her, she will try and fly out of the brooder to me, or crawl into my hand and up my arm. She is active, and drinks, her poop seems fine. I only feed her starter, no treats, no meal worms. The brooder temp reads at 95 in the hottest part and ~78 in the coolest. The BR chick of the same age doesn't seem to have any problems with temperature. The RIR moves around and is curious and active after I've coddled her a bit and will walk around and peck at things. I can't figure out why she is loud like this when the other girl seems to have no problems. Is there an underlying issue I'm missing? I'm trying to cover all my bases, poop is fine, eyes are clear, she moves around, drinks, but she won't stay quiet unless I hold her. Is she sick or want a mom?

Sounds like behavior to me, instead of something wrong. Maybe try putting in a stuffed animal to cuddle with, and/ or a mirror so she can play with the 'other chick.'

As long as she's doing everything you mentioned ( eat, poop, active, etc) as well as growing nicely, I'd try not to worry!

Seems to me she is lonely. The bigger question is why is the other one always asleep? That chick should be active and interacting with the other. Chicks are very active at one week old. I have found that chicks are like kids or any other pet. If you pick them up every time they holler, they learn to holler more for your attention.
That's true, I've ignored her and put a stuffed animal in with the both of them. She's quieted down and is asleep. As for the other sleepy one, she does interact with the other one but mostly seems to sleep, she does walk around. I'll give her some pedialyte, I wasn't too concerned because it's been dark, and because she's so young I figure baby gotta sleep. If she isn't very active in the morning I'll have to check up on her. Thanks for the reply!

That's true, I've ignored her and put a stuffed animal in with the both of them. She's quieted down and is asleep. As for the other sleepy one, she does interact with the other one but mostly seems to sleep, she does walk around. I'll give her some pedialyte, I wasn't too concerned because it's been dark, and because she's so young I figure baby gotta sleep. If she isn't very active in the morning I'll have to check up on her. Thanks for the reply!

Does the other one eat, drink and poop properly? Does that one seem to be growing at the same rate as the other? I know your post was about the screaming one but I can't help but worry about the other one. Chicks do sleep alot but for brief periods before they are up and running around. Any chance you are able to get another one or two chicks to add with these ones? If you lose one, you are going to have one lonely chick to manage. Chickens are very much a flock animal and are not happy when they are alone.

Does the other one eat, drink and poop properly? Does that one seem to be growing at the same rate as the other? I know your post was about the screaming one but I can't help but worry about the other one. Chicks do sleep alot but for brief periods before they are up and running around. Any chance you are able to get another one or two chicks to add with these ones? If you lose one, you are going to have one lonely chick to manage. Chickens are very much a flock animal and are not happy when they are alone.
The sleepy one drinks, her poop is the same as the other, but I haven't seen her eat much. She is slightly larger than the other. I can get another chick, just in case. I hope the sleepy one will be alright, I haven't had her long. I'll have to see how she fares in the morning.

I use an infrared so it doesn't produce light. The sleepy one, she perked up! Gave some pedialyte and she is eating. She is doing well, making those happy chick noises, sounds kinda like a basket ball game if everyone was always on defense.

Phew! That one had me worried so I'm glad to see she is perking up. Has that made the screaming one happier? Chickens Really asks a good question. What is the light level in the room? They would be more active with light and less if it is dark.

Back
Top Bottom