Baby Mallard, Broken Neck?

clucktastic

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 9, 2009
Pullman, Mi
I have a four week old mallard baby that has suddenly started presenting with a neck problem. The head is laid directly back along his (or her) spine, and it feels like it may be dislocated or broken or something. It's the only duck out of 37 that are showing symptoms, and he is able to drink with assistance. He sort of flings his head back and forth a lot, but can hold it still with help...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Anthony

Known as wry neck or star gazing. Many posts on here concerning it if you do a search of those phrases. Poly visol NO iron (children's vitemins) given until corrected is one treatment. Nutridrench is another option (not everyone has it on hand or can get it on a Sunday)

Thanks for the response!

I'm going to try the vitamin treatment, but I'm not sure he didn't get trampled by the other ducklings, so any suggestions if it is an injury? I'm not opposed to culling it should I need to, because I don't have the time or resources to spend months on a duck that I'll probably eat anyway, but if it's a relatively simple fix, I'm in.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the response!

I'm going to try the vitamin treatment, but I'm not sure he didn't get trampled by the other ducklings, so any suggestions if it is an injury? I'm not opposed to culling it should I need to, because I don't have the time or resources to spend months on a duck that I'll probably eat anyway, but if it's a relatively simple fix, I'm in.

Thanks again!
try the vitamins for atleast 3-4 days .
and if no improvement cull it.

It only takes a couple drops 2-3 times a day for a day or 2 usually before you see drastic improvement. I would consider putting some of the poly vi sol or nutri drench in their drinking water as well. Since 1 has a vitamin deficiency there is a greater possibility there are more that just aren't showing signs yet. Better to prevent than try to treat after the fact.

Back
Top Bottom