Baby monitor in coop question......

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by gabby3535, Apr 1, 2009.

1. gabby3535

gabby3535 Chillin' With My Peeps

Recently I purchased a Fisher Price "long distance" baby monitor ($46-Babies-R-Us) to keep an ear on the girls at night,
    for predator protection. It works great! I can hear a pin drop in the coop from my bedroom.......probably 80 or so feet away.
    My question is this...............it is now Spring, so it doesn't get too cold at night any longer, but come next winter.......it will!
    Has anyone had experience with the very cold weather negatively affecting the workings of the microphone part of the monitor
    set up? (The microphone is the part of the system which sits on a shelf in the coop............it is powered by electricity, not
    a battery.)
    Just wondering..................

2. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

I have not used the baby monitor but when we started with pygmy goats we had a similar system that you just plugged in. Ours was not a radio signal it actually worked through the wiring system to the house.This one worked OK but it was just sound which caused many false alarm trips to the barn in the middle of the night. We then got a camera system which gave audio and video. The cam worked great as I had the monitor next to the bed and could just look and see what was going on. We never had any trouble with cold affecting either one. The most important thing is make sure it stays dry and if possible put something above the unit that sticks out over it to keep dust etc from filling it up.

3. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    hahahahah...it is the predator thread.. i thought you were talking about a,,, baby monitor LIZARD!!!!
    first i though "where do you LIVE???"
    next thought was.. "it must be a pet that got loose"
    then i thought "what KIND of monitor is it???"

[​IMG]

4. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    That's funny, my husband I are doing the same when the chicks are moved outside. Glad to hear it works well.[​IMG]

5. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Got a $20.00 SAFETY FIRST monitor in `05. It has worked continuously without fail, temp. gets down to -10°F. Very good in summer when coop shutters are open: Girls growl in unison, then you can hear the coons chittering and the havaharts slamming shut...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    this post has been very helpful. I'm just starting and am concerned as I have had skunk problems already in the first and second year getting into the garage and saw an opposum. I haven't seen racoons yet.

7. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

FYI The camera system we bought was like $100 and came with cam and small B&W monitor. With a 40 watt light things are very clear and the sound is unreal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by