Baby needs culled. Not mine, can't do it. Now what???

luvmychicknkids

Canning Squirrel
11 Years
Mar 6, 2008
Floresville, Texas
This is a tough one. When I got my chickie order it was mine and my mother's. Among the babies were 3 Anconas. 2 hers and one mine. I lost two of my other chickies so when I realized one of them was weak I did the really WRONG thing and gave it to her. I assumed it would either pass quickly or get better in a day or two, and since she had two and me one it almost made sense. I did let her know she was getting the weak one and she agreed it was fair. Anyway, they are almost 4 weeks old. I discovered after a week or more the baby had spraddle leg so I helped her fix that. It has not grown hardly any, can't really stand, cries constantly, is severely handicapped.
sad.png
The quality of life this chickie has is horrible. She can't do anything without being helped. I have never culled a chick and hoped to never have to, but if she was mine, I would. My mother, however, would let her live forever even in extreme pain. So what do I do???? Suggesting to her that I cull the baby for her is not an option. She will simply refuse. I messed up by giving her the chick and feel awful.......now this.
sad.png
What would YOU do?????

Wow, is there a way to accidently let a cat/dog/madeup monster get into the box while she's in the store? Usually these die anyway but people keep feeding them (it's like keeping someone on life support).

Stick it in the freezer for a few minutes when your mom is gone. It'll simply fall asleep and die. Then take it out, put it back in the brooder, and it'll look as though it died naturally. Sure you'd be lying... but it's for the best of the chick.

Wow that is tough and everyone deals with things like this differently. Me? I would just tell Mom that well point blank it is cruel to continue to try to save chickie and that it needs to be put at peace. Offer to do it for her. if she finally agrees, take chickie, do the deed and bury little one. My mother would agree and insist I be the one to do it. She could never do it herself but would also realize what was best. heck, she had me take her 16 year old doxie to the vet for the shot. She just could not do it.

Moody - I cannot agree with the freezer. This is a 4 week old chick it is a horrible way to die being frozen to death.

Sorry gal. Tough spot you are in.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
I have seriously considered the doing it while she is away thing....I have a key and access to her house and generally know when she is or isn't home. As for trying to convince her, when her beloved poodle was dying of cancer she refused to put her down. Her argument, "if you can't euthanize people how can you euthanize pets?" I agreed and told her I felt people should have the same option. She didn't agree.
sad.png
So, it is either sneak it in or just hope the poor little thing passes. I just feel, at this point, it is suffering terribly.
sad.png
And it is MY fault.

hit.gif
My heart goes out to you...I'll keep you in my prayers, and I hope things turn out ok soon.

Unfortunately we don't have a vet here who would do it.
sad.png
I would prefer the ether method if I do. Not to mention, if I sneak it in, having its head gone would be hard to explain.....they don't generally fall off spontaneously. I know she would rather it pass quietly, she just won't allow anyone to assist in that. *sigh* But you know, this is the woman who taught me to catch and relocate spiders and wasps and every other sort of bug. She taught me to love and appreciate life....so even though she carried it to the extreme (she even practices catch and release on flies...seriously) I understand her. *sigh*

Quote:
aww! she sounds like a sweetheart!
love.gif
if you really think the baby is in pain...then tell her so...maybe explain to her that it hurts you to see it in pain..see what she says...
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom