Baby peacock broken toe/foot/leg HELP!!

Scoutinspace

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2021
Hello I have a 10 day old baby peacock. Yesterday my daughter accidentally stepped on her right foot with shoes on. One middle toe is purple and the leg seems a touch purple. The middle toe is more bendy than the left middle toe. She has been lifting more today than yesterday. The vet said just isolate her and come in on Tuesday but tie poor little one needs quicker help than that. Any advice?

Hi there! One of my hens broke her leg on a rat trap earlier this year and here is what I did to help her.
First of all clean her foot with rubbing alcohol and let it dry MAKE SURE THE SKIN ISNT OPEN THOUGH.
Get a split of sorts (I used a popsicle stick) you could probably use cardboard and attach it to her toes.
This is the important part. Position the toe correctly or it can heal wrong. Since she is little it should heal perfectly fine.
Put a supplement in her water (I use nutri drench you can buy it at feed stores or on Amazon). Watch her toe and she should be good.

Thank you everyone today she is holding it up even more - and it’s greenish purple!

Attachments

• F9894938-C647-4A18-BAA2-BBED3DE29089.jpeg
    F9894938-C647-4A18-BAA2-BBED3DE29089.jpeg
    550.6 KB · Views: 3
Perhaps someone that keeps Peafowl can give you some suggestions.
@KsKingBee or @Midnightman14

Green/purple is bruising. If she's holding it up, then she's self limiting activity. I'm not sure how much stress it is for Peafowl to be separated from their flock, with chickens it's stressful, so I leave them with their flock.
Anyway, I would make sure that she's able to get to food/water.
With an injury like that, hard to know if to splint or not - with swelling, you risk wrappings to get too tight and further the damage. But if the toe is broken, stabilizing it can make them more comfortable. I've splinted broken toes and left broken toes alone, they seem to heal equally well, ime. By Tuesday, the toe will probably already be healing up.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone - what was bad got worse. I was putting a small splint on (q-tip cut to about a 1/4) and my baby peacock/hen grabbed with beak and swallowed it. I called everywhere to take her in and nobody would see her. Shes going to dr tomorrow. SO far she is eating and going to the bathroom fine. But oh my gosh - I really need help with this one.

Back
Top Bottom