Baby Peacock question ; sticky

mominoz

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 17, 2009
North Georgia
I am behind the curve on my Peacocks.... I wasn't planning on breeding (I breed waterfowl), but got a pair for 'eyecandy'... so when eggs showed up I tossed them in my Geneisis and other incubator with the ducks JIC.... Well, I hatched 6, 2 duds, one I learned not to put with the others quite so soon (and it was weak)... and now I had one having difficulty hatching so I ended up with a helpout (it had absorbed yolk)... but it's feathers are all sticky (poo goo in shell)... so much so that it couldn't straighten until I helped separate the goo off.. I got it in a separate clean brooder...if it were a duck I would say the humidity was off and I'd submerge it in warm water and wrap it in a towel and get it back in the brooder and things would be fine... But what do you do about a sticky gooed up peachick?

Thanks, I took a chance and immersed it in warm water (it had the shell membrane coating it's whole back (and head when I helped it out of egg)...wrapped it in a towel quickly and then put it back in the warm brooder...It also was stuck in a 'ball' and took 24 hours to straighten up and be able to stand...I figured was do or die... today, it is fine, eating drinking walking... and to my surprise another hatched and it was white!( well all yellow for now)... (told the father was a Spaulding and had green in him and was blackshouldered....although I am not sure he is... I need to post a pic and see what everyone thinks) .....oh, and the white got out and was fine , no stickiness, and neither did the others that hatched....seems odd only the one born two days earlier was....

Well, sadly, it died after I put it with it's older siblings...not sure if it was inately weak or if they 'sat on it' too much... I have since added another and it was ok, and I took the 2 the mother hatched as there are too many snakes and rats nearby and them being first time parents I was unsure and since one was also white, I didn't want to lose it... maybe I will let them raise some next year. So I have 7 live, 2 of which are white... now I have to fix up a section of the duck aviary to house them. Right now they are living in a kiddie pool brooder in the garage which is getting hot in daytime (to low 90's) ...

Back
Top Bottom