Baby pigeon not growing (unfair feeding)

degunuts

Chirping
Sep 28, 2020
Hey there. I've got two pigeon chicks, about a week and a half old. One is big and well-feathered, and the other one is tiny. A bit bigger than how she hatched, with a little bit of feather development. Pretty active, eyes open. Mom's feeding both, but the smaller one's crop is pretty consistently full of water more than food compared to her brother's, which is always full of feed and milk. Is there any way to fix this? the parents aren't sitting on them which doesn't help either since she's not feathered yet. I've been trying to separate the bigger baby whenever the parents are feeding, but I can't seem to catch them in the act to do so. Any thoughts?

Remove the larger squab and add fresh feed. Generally the parents will eat and then go to feed their young. Once the smaller has been fed, return the larger to the nest. Is only the female feeding the squabs?

Remove the larger squab and add fresh feed. Generally the parents will eat and then go to feed their young. Once the smaller has been fed, return the larger to the nest. Is only the female feeding the squabs?
Couldn't say-- again, I haven't seen the parents feeding them much, and the only time I've seen was the mom feeding. and I'll try the adding fresh feed thing.... I've just got to wait for mom to be hungry. She's full but the baby's only got one kernel of corn in its crop or so :(

I will say, the one good thing about having one bird be a lot bigger is he's good at keeping the smaller one warm! They snuggle up to each other lol

Back
Top Bottom