Baby pigeon rescue, need help and care advice!

pifflepiffle

Hatching
Aug 8, 2016
Please help! Two baby (what I'm assuming are) pigeons fell from my tree 2 days ago and only one survived. There are no injuries as I can tell, but I'm panicking about feeding and hydration!

This was it 2 days ago and while I thought I was doing okay, forums have been sending me back and forth!

I've been feeding it Kay tee exact mixed with mashed peas and it eats the mix through a plastic cup with slit tense plastic tied onto the front.
I feed it 3-4 times a day but worry about it going without at night.
I've been dipping the bottom of its beak in warm water and it has a bit, but now I'm reading it can kill it ;_;

How often do I feed it?
Can it drink water?
Is it okay to not eat over 8 hours?
Please help with any information at all. I'm losing sleep hoping I'm doing okay with it.

**update** the peeper is really coming along! I feed it 6am, 2pm, and 10pm. I check it's crop every time and make sure I carefully try to get it to have water an hour before feeding to get it accustomed to drinking. Here's a photo update!

Last edited:
How often do I feed it? I can not stress this enough "It is a good policy to feed the squab only when it's crop is empty or you are headed for major problems".
Can it drink water? Most fanciers keep the squab hydrated through the mixture of food same as the parents and maybe a squirt or two of water for good measure.

Please help with any information at all. I'm losing sleep hoping I'm doing okay with it.
Sounds like you are doing just fine. You have a better chance of raising him where it is not a newly hatched pigeon. My guess is your squab is probably a week or more old. Most parents at that age only feed the squab 2 times a day in a perfect world as a rule of thumb. (keeping in mind not all these stories have a happy ending.)
Check out this link you may find something that benefits you.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hand+feeding+squabs

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I'll dial it back to 3 times a day. I'm glad to know I'm at least feeding it alright in general. More feathers are coming in so I'm excited that it's growing decent.

It eats about a table spoon at a time right now and usually just wants to sleep after. Is that enough to eat?

Also it rests in a fleece bird cubby I lined with socks. My home is usually around 75-80 degrees so do you think it might be sufficient?

Sorry for the barrage and thank you so much. I just want to make sure it's happy and well c:

It eats about a table spoon at a time right now and usually just wants to sleep after. Is that enough to eat? A tablespoon is about all the little fellow can hold at that age you should see his crop bulge sufficiently after that feeding. It is important to let the crop empty (or near empty) as the feed can begin to ferment in the crop and lead to a condition called sour crop and will stop digestion and cause major problems and in some cases death.

Also it rests in a fleece bird cubby I lined with socks. My home is usually around 75-80 degrees so do you think it might be sufficient? When the squab begins to fledge parents only incubate when temperatures drop below room temperature. I think you got that covered.

Last edited:
Thank you again! I forgot to mention I do check it's crop because that was one of the first things I read and it scared the daylights out of me. It's a huge relief to know I'm doing decent with it.

Update. The baby bird is eating properly on schedule but I'm having a hard time weaning it. Any tips? Also we purchased a cage for it and while it's got the fleece alcove to sleep in, I was wondering what types of toys or things should I get for when it's older?

Lastly I was cleaning food from its head when I found what looks like a scab or dried blood. I can only gather that it came from the initial fall from the tree but should I be worried? It's been nearly a week and I would hope if it were bad something would have happened by now.

Advice?

Here it is in its cage today

Last edited:
'm having a hard time weaning it. Any tips? My pigeons love shelled unsalted peanuts hand feed him a few of them then place some at his disposal he will soon get the idea. I was wondering what types of toys or things should I get for when it's older? Another pigeon.

Lastly I was cleaning food from its head when I found what looks like a scab or dried blood. I can only gather that it came from the initial fall from the tree but should I be worried? No.
When it comes to pigeons and secure him some company:
Check out this site in a perfect world you should find someone near by.

http://www.npausa.com/customer_service/found_pigeon.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom