Baby quail and heat

Beankeeper

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2022
Hello all, we are very new to birds of any kind. We hatched 9 quail between January 12th and January 14th. We need to take them in their brooder box someplace other than the house on the 23rd. They are growing feathers fast!! The outside temperature where we are is currently 43 degrees fahrenheit. We would be moving them from the house under their heat lamp to our van, with the heat on, to another indoor location for 3.5 hours and then back home in the van. What do we need to do to make sure they don't get too cold? Or will they be ok for that time without their lamp?

I'd get a thermometer and put in the box to keep an eye on the temps. Also grab some hot hands (or the bigger hot feet) so if it does start to drop you can throw one or two of them in there. Guessing the van and indoor location are both gonna be heated?

In my limited experience, I consider quails to be quite fragile in their first 10 days or so when they retain most of their down. unless you absolutely need them to travel with you, I would recommend against it.

I'd get a thermometer and put in the box to keep an eye on the temps. Also grab some hot hands (or the bigger hot feet) so if it does start to drop you can throw one or two of them in there. Guessing the van and indoor location are both gonna be heated?
Yes they will both be heated and if need be I can bring the heat lamp with me to put on them while we are away from the house.

Room temp should be fine for quail at 10 days old. I hatched this month too and moved mine to the coolest part of the house on day 12 - it fell to 65 overnight. Start moving the heat lamp further away now.

Room temp should be fine for quail at 10 days old. I hatched this month too and moved mine to the coolest part of the house on day 12 - it fell to 65 overnight. Start moving the heat lamp further away now.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom