Baby Quail Chirping Loudly - Cause and Solution?

Oob Child

Crowing
May 13, 2023
Hi, I have 3 baby quail, all ranging from six to eight days old. For some reason they sometimes chirp really loud. Not the normal chirping, or even slightly louder. Just super loud, louder than my alarm. What does this mean, and what could it be caused by?

Note: they stop chirping loudly when I go to check on them.

That sounds like they could be crying for their mamma, and since they stop when you come in, they probably view you as momma. Especially likely if you hatched them

That sounds like they could be crying for their mamma, and since they stop when you come in, they probably view you as momma. Especially likely if you hatched them
I did hatch them, and they follow me everywhere! I guess that's the reason lol...

I did hatch them, and they follow me everywhere! I guess that's the reason lol...
Chances are they won't be as clingy as they get older since they're around each other all day and around you only part of the day. Sooner or later the natural instinct to be afraid of us kicks in with lots of quail

I have this too but thought it might be because they feel lonely. Only 2 eggs have hatched because of a heating problem and one of them is really weak. The one that is not weak cheeps really loudly until I check on them. I thought it might be because they can see their reflection?

Edit: I changed increased the heat and its fine now :)

Last edited:
Chances are they won't be as clingy as they get older since they're around each other all day and around you only part of the day. Sooner or later the natural instinct to be afraid of us kicks in with lots of quail
They did end up not being clingy anymore. They aren't that tame either. They all eat out of my hand but only one of them is friendly to humans.
I now realize that friendliness is mostly genetic and am planning on breeding the friendly one with a friendly male.
She's a silver mix named George. (Looks ruffled in this photo bc she was I'll when it was taken)
PXL_20230702_020731610.jpg

She's my baby ♥️

Part of it is definitely just lucking out and getting a quail that’s naturally friendly, but spending tons of time with them makes a huge impact. I have 2 one month old gambel chicks that had to be raised separately from their hatchmates (curled toes and when they were healed up their hatchmates attacked them), so they’ve been living together ever since. Ive spent most all day everyday since they were born until maybe 5 days ago when I started spending more of my day in other parts of the house and sleeping in a different room due to not keeping the AC on so they don’t get chilled, but those weeks of constant handling and attention made a huge impact. Even with them having each other, they’re extremely affectionate and friendly birds. They both start crying whenever I put them back in the brooder, especially at night. Takes them nearly an hour to tire themselves out some nights before they actually fall asleep without being held.

Back
Top Bottom