Baby Quail Feed

zbraswell92

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 6, 2011
Roswell, Ga
I'm thinking of using Nutrena 18% chick starter and adding Organic Feather meal and a pinch of Organic bonemeal (for minerals.)
I would need to use a ratio of chick feed to feather meal of 3:1 to get a protein content of roughly 33%. Is this enough nutrients for growing quail chicks?
My chicks are due to hatch a week from today. I was going to run to TSC to get the chick feed. I ordered the organic feather meal and bonemeal online.
I give my quail layers feathermeal and bonemeal mixed with their layer diet and they absolutely love it!
(Along with freeze dried meal worms and scratch as treats.)
So, will this 3:1 ratio work for quail chicks?
Any opinions?

You don't need 33% protein for quail chicks. I would cut this down to about 28% protein. 33% is a bit high.

I use Dumor quail starter from Tractor Supply. It has 24% protein in it. But using the feather meal will work as well.

Ok thanks. I've heard of people give feed as high as 35% protein to quail chicks!!
It'll save me a few bucks on feather meal now too!
:p
My layer diet evens out around 25-27% protein. This way I can give them treats like whole sorghum and cracked corn to lower the protein a bit.
I don't put the bone meal in my Roo's feed. Roos don't need any extra Ca. Plus, there's already Ca & Ph in Layer feed. Haha
Anyways, thanks a lot. :)

Back
Top Bottom