1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby Quail Feed

Discussion in 'Quail' started by zbraswell92, Feb 5, 2014.

1. zbraswell92

zbraswell92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    Roswell, Ga
    I'm thinking of using Nutrena 18% chick starter and adding Organic Feather meal and a pinch of Organic bonemeal (for minerals.)
    I would need to use a ratio of chick feed to feather meal of 3:1 to get a protein content of roughly 33%. Is this enough nutrients for growing quail chicks?
    My chicks are due to hatch a week from today. I was going to run to TSC to get the chick feed. I ordered the organic feather meal and bonemeal online.
    I give my quail layers feathermeal and bonemeal mixed with their layer diet and they absolutely love it!
    (Along with freeze dried meal worms and scratch as treats.)
    So, will this 3:1 ratio work for quail chicks?
    Any opinions?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You don't need 33% protein for quail chicks. I would cut this down to about 28% protein. 33% is a bit high.

I use Dumor quail starter from Tractor Supply. It has 24% protein in it. But using the feather meal will work as well.

3. zbraswell92

zbraswell92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    Roswell, Ga
    Ok thanks. I've heard of people give feed as high as 35% protein to quail chicks!!
    It'll save me a few bucks on feather meal now too!
    :p
    My layer diet evens out around 25-27% protein. This way I can give them treats like whole sorghum and cracked corn to lower the protein a bit.
    I don't put the bone meal in my Roo's feed. Roos don't need any extra Ca. Plus, there's already Ca & Ph in Layer feed. Haha
    Anyways, thanks a lot. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by