Baby Quail has a bent neck

sparkleeyes

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 13, 2012
We have two baby quail that we incubated ourselves, that are now in the brooder under a red light. They have their food and water and they seemed fine. They are about a week old. Yesterday I noticed that one chick keeps his head turned to the right! And it seems like there's a bump or crick in his neck on the left side.

Has anyone heard or seen this before? Or know of any probable cause???

Any info is greatly appreciated. This is our first quail hatch.

This can be caused by a few things. One, it could be from being positioned in the egg improperly. Vitamin deficiencies either from the parent birds can pass down growth problems or deficiencies in the feed itself right now can cause growth problems. You need to add some vitamins to the water. Especially B's and E. Get an all around good vitamin mix at the feed store or even on line that has a good amount of vitamins and minerals and add this to the water. This should get the little guy back on track.

I have had a few deformities in baby quail , bent necks ,spraddle legged ,club feet etc. It is almost always the ones that are late hatching .I don't know if its be
cause they were in the egg too long ,or if they were weak and couldn't get out . But I usually hatch 50 to 75 per week , and if the majority hatch on Monday then tues. morning I'll throw away the un -hatched eggs . And I haven't had any defects since .
That might sound kinda cold , but it's better than having to kill the deformed ones .

I understand completely. I would probably have to buy vitamins online, cause we don't have much around here. I wonder which website would be the best place to go?

Now since we've had another egg hatch, and the little guy looks good so far!!

Just look in any pet shop and ask for bird vitamins that's all. Most probably they'll have it.

Back
Top Bottom