Baby quail, when to remove lights?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sammit, Feb 7, 2015.

1. sammit

sammit Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hello! I have some baby japs that are 11 days old. Im in Brisbane, Australia and was wondering when I should be taking the lights off them?? The currrent day/night temps where I am is around 33C/23C. They are almost fully feathered.

Also, when would be the appropriate age to introduce them to my established flock? There are 11 babies and 12 adults (2 males, 10 females). I read somewhere that around 6 weeks would be an ideal time to allow the bubs to grow to almost full size. Just wanted to make sure that those details are correct.

[​IMG]

2. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Well, if it is 33 C you just need a very low wattage light. Otherwise you are going to cook them! The rest of the sounds good ;)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  3. sammit

Aug 25, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    I havent had the lamp on during the day because of that risk. When should I be taking the light away at night time? Or is it warm enough/and they are old enough to have it removed now?

4. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    The correct brooder procedure is the 1st week 95 degrees and drop 5 degrees each week until week 6 and then they should be fine.I don't know if you can introduce them to an established colony.The others may see them as intruders and kill them.If you take all birds and put them into a pen that none of them have been it,I think you will have better results.
    In N.H.,Tony.

5. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Yes, you may want to consider keeping them alone. The first colony will see them as intruders and it won't be a pretty sight. Quails can be VERY aggressive with their own kind. :/

6. sammit

Aug 25, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ive introduced many different lots of quails to this flock over the past 2 years without problems. All of the birds I have put in there have been over 8 weeks old though and in groups of 6-10 birds (i cull most of the males once 12 weeks hence the lower numbers remaining). The run is outside and is 6m long, 2m wide and 2.5m tall with an enclosed shed at one end for their feed, water and bedding.

These birds are not in a brooder, they are in a partially covered cage with a heat lamp. I think ill just continue with the lamp at night until they are around 4-5 weeks and then remove it altogether.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by