Baby Rooster - Diarrhea

tennesseekorn

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 15, 2010
Tennessee
I have a little rooster that came from a hatchery last Thursday with a small Guinea flock. There are 12 guineas and 6 roosters, I don't know yet what kinds they are. All seem to be doing ok except for one of the roosters. We have been struggling with this heat wave in West Tennessee and they have been slightly stressed. We have them in a brooder box. Thi,s little rooster had a pasted vent which I cleared. His belly feels full, hard and swollen and I am suspecting he is the one with diarrhea. I have clipped the down all around his vent and butt to keep it clear and clean. I soaked his little butt in some warm water to make sure the vent was clean and so I could see it better. I am even having a hard time seeing the vent now. He is drinking and eating. I have also given the whole flock some yogurt. He seemed better this morning but I am still seeing dark, wet poops in the brooder and his belly does not feel right. I don't know of much else to do - this is my first flock so I am reading a lot but not sure what step should be taken next. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Heather

In the summer heat, mine drink ALOT of water and have very loose/runny poo. How does his crop look? I don't know what you mean by belly. If they are heat stressed, you might want to bring them inside during the day.

Thank you so much for the replies!!! I think it is Cecal poops that I'm seeing.....something I didn't know about yet. I think he is doing better today. I continue to monitor him and he is looking pretty good this morning. I will save this link for future reference.

I went through the same thing the first time I had my chicks! I was like, what is this black runny stuff!!! I hate cecal, it's like cement on the patio.
sad.png

I have been so worried about the "pasted vent" and when I saw the black runny poops I have been thinking it must from that. Glad to know it's "normal". Kinda yucky though.....
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom