Baby Silkie sneezing more than usual...

Fwoof

Crowing
Jun 13, 2022
My white silkie chick (and supposed rooster) is sneezing a lot more than usual and seems to have slight difficulty breathing.
He is active and bright eyed, but sneezes frequently. He has fresh water in the brooder.
I was thinking of making him some Cinnamon/Oregano/Rosemary drops to help his respiratory system, but if you have any other ideas, please let me know.
Thank you!

My white silkie chick (and supposed rooster) is sneezing a lot more than usual and seems to have slight difficulty breathing.
He is active and bright eyed, but sneezes frequently. He has fresh water in the brooder.
I was thinking of making him some Cinnamon/Oregano/Rosemary drops to help his respiratory system, but if you have any other ideas, please let me know.
Thank you!
@speckledhen, @azygous, @Eggcessive

The first thing I would ask if it's just sneezing is if the chicken is in a new coop. New wood and caulk do off-gas and can cause an entire flock to begin sneezing. Had that happen once many years ago putting youngsters in a newly renovated coop. And have you brought in any new birds without adequate quarantine for observation?

The first thing I would ask if it's just sneezing is if the chicken is in a new coop. New wood and caulk do off-gas and can cause an entire flock to begin sneezing. Had that happen once many years ago putting youngsters in a newly renovated coop. And have you brought in any new birds without adequate quarantine for observation?
He's still in the brooder, and there's no new wood or caulk around that might be irritating him.
He's with two other chicks, and we got them very young from the same breeder. We've had them for almost two weeks now. He's always been slightly more "sneezy" than his broodmates, but now it's becoming a bit concerning.

Hmm, well, could be something related to him alone. Hard to say at that age, though I'm sure you know that some respiratory illnesses are passed through the egg to the chick. Not saying that's what it is, but we should always consider all the possibilities, of course. I realize that it is so hard to separate a young chick, but then, if it's the latter issue, all would likely be affected, not just one chick.

Back
Top Bottom