baby silkies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nursecat9, Sep 29, 2009.

1. nursecat9

nursecat9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I'm thinking of getting some silkies. Is there anything special I need to know about them? Is it the same temp. as any other babies? That sort of thing. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    I believe its the same as other chicks... hopefully someone with more knowlege will post

3. osukrazykate

osukrazykate Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes they are raised the same. The only thing you need to worry about is when they are adults they can't really fly so you need to make sure they have adequate housing to protect them from predators and a lower roost that they can get onto. I love my silkies they are a lot of fun and can run pretty darn fast.

4. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    When reared with much bigger chicks make sure there is adequate heat, tinies can get squished if they pile up for warmth. Since we are coming on winter - extra warmth in their eventual coop for rather longer than in summer is also useful. Just a place to go get warm if they get cold/damp and feel the need for extra heat really can help.

5. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Quote:I know where you can get some... [​IMG] Same everything by the way. I sometimes give mine a vitamin supplement in their water but that is all.

I have some with your name on them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by