Baby Treats?

I don't give sand but if you're feeding treats they'd need grit. I use finch grit. It's small enough for the chicks.
I give mine romaine lettuce, dried mealworms , bean and alfalfa sprouts, and that's about it. I'm going to try yogurt next!

I actually use beach sand that I collect for the greenhouse I have whenever I go to the beach. I have been collecting it for years... has a nice collection of little stuff for the chicks to fight over. They really seem to love it.
What kind of sand are y'all referring to? Do you have to provide sand with any type of treat? I just got my first chicks, 5 Silver Laced Wyandottes. I have only given them chick starter and a chick cake thing from Tractor Supply, which they go crazy over when I put it in for a few hours..
Any info is helpful!

For baby chicks you can get chick grit for them. For adults, I sometimes use regular grit but I've also used contractor's sand more often than not. Contractor's sand has granuels in many different sizes for them to choose from unlike play sand. And I can buy it 50 pounds at a time from Lowe's so it's much more cost effective than grit. But you just have to read the bag very carefully to make sure all that's in there is sand and little rocks but no concrete!!

Last edited:
Grapes (cut into smaller pieces) are good too. Try spagetti for a good laugh. Watermellon is a favorite to try out too. & you can't go wrong w/ corn, on or off the cob, they will love it!

Mine, so far, love apple peels, grapes, strawberries and tomatoes. It's always funny to watch them chase each other
pop.gif

Is chopped up grass good? They are still in the brooder box, and two weeks old.

My chicks are about a month old (and don't look much like chicks anymore). I've given them dried mealworms and some grass I pulled up from the yard. They loved both! My husband found a caterpillar and gave it to them today. He said they were hilarious, taking it from each other and running away. I've been mixing some chick grit in with their food for the past few days, since I started giving them treats. So far, so good!

Back
Top Bottom