Baby turkey...

IggiMom

Songster
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
West Virginia
I have five little baby turkeys. I think I am going to lose one, it just cheeps and cheeps. I have been trying to put sugar water and vitamins down his noisy little beak, but I am afraid I will drown him.

Even when he is asleep he cheeps. Otherwise he just stands there and doesn't eat or drink.

And--

Baby turkeys have little BUMPS on their FOREHEADS!

I thought at first they had bugs or something. My goodness.

Catherine

Baby turkeys are very fragile. All you can do is to keep trying the sugar water. Using a syringe with no needle will allow you to put just one drop at a time on the side of his beak. The bump on its forehead is its snood. They can contract and expand it as they grow.

Sorry to hear about your turkey
sad.png

Quote:
I will try the syringe, and also the hard boiled egg.

I am SO afraid of drowning him.

Um--on the snood--I feel sort of dumb about this, but I only have one turkey and I did not raise him from a chick...do only the males have this, or both?

Some seem definitely to be more prominent.

Everybody else is eating. This is Tom's new little flock. I feel sure he is very excited, as I have promised him that this time next year he will have his own flock (Tom being our turkey, of course.)

Catherine

My baby turkey died. Actually, he committed suicide.

I can't believe it. He seemed as if he was doing a little better, and I had been carrying him around under my blouse, and I gave him egg and sugar and vitamins--and darned if he didn't stick his head in the waterer and drowned.

I had put him back in their little box to give him a chance to eat some more egg.

Mind you, this is a little chick waterer, not anything big that you would expect a chick to drown in. His head fit in there, though, and although he was not strong he was not so weak that he couldn't pick up his head.

So I guess it was just meant to be.

Darn.

Catherine

Back
Top Bottom