Baby wont sleep, not ing

You need a warm space and a cool space so they can find their comfort zone.
When you said you had red in the brooder, does that mean you found blood?
If so, my first thought is that coccidiosis took the others. A necropsy at your state poultry lab would prove definitively what killed them.
Lone chicks will always peep loudly and incessantly wondering where their flockmates went. A mirror and stuffed animal or feather duster can alleviate that stress.
Sounds to me like it needs probiotics to get the bowels working properly.
I always give Gro2Max in chicks first water. In a pinch, plain yogurt or Kefir with active cultures can help.

Hey we all make mistakes. I missed getting water into a chick in my last batch. I was diligently checking everyone using the waterer and confused her with her sister. Felt really bad about that one.
I would leave the heat on where she can avail of it or move away and cool down. Is she all alone? I would give her a stuffed animal to cuddle. Of if you have a hot water bottle you could wrap. Something that feels like another living body to snuggle. I think she’s probably cold and lonely. Make sure she knows where water and food is. I would put electrolytes in the water and leave her be for a little bit. Checking frequently obviously

It's been a while since I've given my baby chick heat sermon. So here it is.

The heat source should be like a little campfire for chicks to warm themselves, then move away after they feel warmed up. It's a mistake to treat a brooder as a "bread warmer" when chicks need cool space as much as a warm spot.

Understand that newly hatched chicks lack any insulating properties with just a down covering. But that quickly changes. By the end of the first week, they have some pretty good wing feathers providing some insulation against losing body heat, so they will be uncomfortable under the same heat they had starting out.

Also, ambient temperature affects how quickly a chick will lose body heat. In an 80F room, a chick can go hours without the need to replenish lost body heat. On the flip side, in a 65F room, the chicks will spend more time warming under a heat source.

To really understand a baby chick's heat needs, you only need to watch a broody hen with her new brood. The chicks will be running about most of the time, even on a chilly day, only ducking under their mama hen occasionally to warm up. I brood chicks under a heating pad in my run in early April when the days are barely out of the 40s. The chicks don't spend all their time hidden away under their mama heating pad. They are all racing around learning about how to be chickens, and only when they've lost enough body heat do they scurry back under the toasty warm pad.

By the time chicks are three weeks old, they are feathered enough not to need heat during the day when they are eating and calories keep them warm. At night, they still require some heat, but by age five weeks, most no longer need heat at night.

You need a warm space and a cool space so they can find their comfort zone.
When you said you had red in the brooder, does that mean you found blood?
If so, my first thought is that coccidiosis took the others. A necropsy at your state poultry lab would prove definitively what killed them.
Lone chicks will always peep loudly and incessantly wondering where their flockmates went. A mirror and stuffed animal or feather duster can alleviate that stress.
Sounds to me like it needs probiotics to get the bowels working properly.
I always give Gro2Max in chicks first water. In a pinch, plain yogurt or Kefir with active cultures can help.
There was red in the poop of the ones that died. This one poops white. I have the probiotics going thru her food n water, heat lamp on, and now..... A stuffy to snuggle with... Fingers crossed, I wont be sleeping much tonight... I work at a Veterinary Hospital I will bring in a poop sample to work tomorrow...
Thanks for the stuffed animal idea!!! I forgot about that part

My first few batches I got in the late Fall. So I kept heat lamp running around the clock.. We had a mild winter so by December, they went to the coop outside. Our new batches over the winter, stayed indoors with heat lamp.. (We have a baby coop we keep in the basement since we always order meat birds). We start all our babies in the heated basement baby coop.
But this particular batch we got on a 90degree day and I think they were about a week old at that time.
They prettty much spent all their time on the otherside of the baby coop away from the heat.. I never saw the wood chips disturbed by the heat lamp.
I actually thought they had too much heat amd I waa cooking them alive.
Guess I never shouldve chamhed my routine for babies. I hate think ing they couldve had sooooo much fun running around our "Feather Forest"

20190901_091713.jpg

Sheupdate on baby chick... She was found snuggled inter her stuffed animal this morning.. Looked like she did a massive poop, twice in the night, some red in her poo. But she is alive and made it thru the night!!!!!!!
Thank you everyone cor setting me straite. I will never change my routine again

Sheupdate on baby chick... She was found snuggled inter her stuffed animal this morning.. Looked like she did a massive poop, twice in the night, some red in her poo. But she is alive and made it thru the night!!!!!!!
Thank you everyone cor setting me straite. I will never change my routine again
Bloody stool indicates the chick should have Corid (amprolium coccidiostat) in its water.
Especially since all the hatchmates already died at an age when coccidiosis usually first crops up.
Bone dry bedding and full feeders minimize coccidia outbreaks because they need moisture to continue their life cycle and plenty of feed limits how much the chicks pick at bedding and eat feces.

Last edited:
I'd like to commend you on your good instincts on noticing this chick was constipated. Many people don't recognize that a chick that is squatting and straining and cheeping madly is suffering a blockage. This can kill faster than coccidiosis.

Next, get all the chicks on Corid, and it appears you will have weathered this big storm. If any of the chicks show signs of lethargy along with blood in their stools might be able to benefit from a sulfa drug along with the Corid to treat possible necrotic enteritis. https://www.revivalanimal.com/product/fish-sulfa-forte?sku=22156-174

Back
Top Bottom