Bachelor brothers rooster flock

choppedliver

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2023
East Central Wisconsin
I have 5 roosters together all 5 are brothers and separate from any flock although one thinks he is the father of the 4. They all got along super well for quite a while and now they’ve exiled one of the brothers and that brother rooster hangs around trying to be a part of the flock but they treat him like a threat. I’m not sure why this is. There’s no sign of sickness but the one being exiled has acted pretty depressed since. The exiled one is also the only one known to hump the ground. Any ideas?

Chickens and flock animals in general tend to put the sick, injured and weird ob the outside the flock so they get picked off first. He sounds weird, not sure I blame them...😅
They may not accept him back unless his behavior changes.

Is it just a bachelor flock? That does sound like something that does happen.
Just a bachelor flock yea. It stresses the hens to have them in with em and my main rooster has all 5 of them so scared they hide. Usually ends bad for the hens so i keep them separate till my next batch of hens is old enough to deal with em

Gosh, I'm not sure what I would do there. I guess I would try to get him with his own flock, but non-dominate roosters aren't always the best flock leaders.

Is there anyone who is especially mean to him? Or does it seem to be everyone?

Gosh, I'm not sure what I would do there. I guess I would try to get him with his own flock, but non-dominate roosters aren't always the best flock leaders.

Is there anyone who is especially mean to him? Or does it seem to be everyone?
Yea i feel that. His mother was super passive she was a silver laced Wyandotte. But yea only one of the brothers chases him away while the rest seem to watch or follow close behind. The one chasing him isn’t even the top of the pecking order he’s like 3rd. Imma give him some supplements (organic spices. Work like a charm) in case he is sick. N just go from there i guess. I really appreciate the replies! Thank you!

Yea i feel that. His mother was super passive she was a silver laced Wyandotte. But yea only one of the brothers chases him away while the rest seem to watch or follow close behind. The one chasing him isn’t even the top of the pecking order he’s like 3rd. Imma give him some supplements (organic spices. Work like a charm) in case he is sick. N just go from there i guess. I really appreciate the replies! Thank you!
Try some nutridrench or rooster booster, most herbs and spices don't have any value in the quantity a chicken would naturally eat. :]

I’ve had a bachelor flock for years, and they get along well (at least it works in my instance). I have hiding spots, multiple feeding and watering stations, roosts, AND the “chicken prison” cage (extra large dog kennel) for any boy that needs a time-out. Mine get along 99% of the time (they were all my hatches and raised together). But…. when one starts to bully…. he spends time in chicken prison. Maybe consider rehoming the bully, and see how it works after he’s gone. Maybe rehome the one being bullied, so he can live a life without fear of being attacked. I hope you find a way that works for you and your roosters.

Back
Top Bottom