Bachelor Pad HELP

sloanbychoice

Crowing
Dec 29, 2019
Wichita, Kansas
For those who have successfully had a bachelor pad, I have a few questions...

At what age can this be tried?
How far is too far on squabbling?
Do the dynamics change with age?

I have three chicks hatched on 4/6.
Two little boys and a girl.
Due to some unforeseen shenanigans one day, Archie had to come up to the house for a few days until I could get the other two brought in and put next to him. For a week, they’ve been in two kennels next to each other. One with a boy, one with one of each.
Today, I finished my bachelor pad, a coop and run well away from my big flock.
I put them in together, fully expecting some tomfoolery, and they were ok for a few. They threw a few flogging blows, but nothing too serious. Then, it took a turn. Neither willing to back down, they took turns grabbing combs and holding each other down. I had to break it up. It’s so hot here, and they were both just worn out. I have them separated again, right next to each other.
My next step is to take this little girl back to the big flock and see if I can get her to make friends with a hen I keep in a separate area.

Removing the pullet, I assume, may help, but is it too late? Do these two just need time to grow into their little manhoods? Will they likely sort it out, or am I doomed to divide this coop and run I literally just finished ?

Hello!

I've only been able to 'successfully' establish a bachelor pad. Here's what I did:

1.) I let my game hen hatch out a brood, the father being a bantam. Of course, I ended up with way more roos than hens and couldn't find appropriate homes for them (didn't want them to be killed or let loose to fend for themselves out in the wild somewhere).

2.) I moved the four brothers in there when they were about 5-6 months old.

3.) There were some scuffles at first - bloody combs but nothing worse. They would be good for a month, then get into it, then good for another month or more, then get into it. Never anything serious, just bloody neck feathers (and they are mostly white so it looked worse than it was).

4.) They've been in their pad for over a year and seem to be doing well. I lost one to a fox :)hit) so now down to three. There is definitely a ring leader and he can be a jerk, but for the most part, they get along.

5.) There are no pullets with them, and I'm pretty sure that having pullets around would definitely cause problems because the boys would have something to fight over.

Hopefully this helps and you can make it work for yours! Taking the pullet away from them would for sure help. Good luck!

Hello!

I've only been able to 'successfully' establish a bachelor pad. Here's what I did:

1.) I let my game hen hatch out a brood, the father being a bantam. Of course, I ended up with way more roos than hens and couldn't find appropriate homes for them (didn't want them to be killed or let loose to fend for themselves out in the wild somewhere).

2.) I moved the four brothers in there when they were about 5-6 months old.

3.) There were some scuffles at first - bloody combs but nothing worse. They would be good for a month, then get into it, then good for another month or more, then get into it. Never anything serious, just bloody neck feathers (and they are mostly white so it looked worse than it was).

4.) They've been in their pad for over a year and seem to be doing well. I lost one to a fox :)hit) so now down to three. There is definitely a ring leader and he can be a jerk, but for the most part, they get along.

5.) There are no pullets with them, and I'm pretty sure that having pullets around would definitely cause problems because the boys would have something to fight over.

Hopefully this helps and you can make it work for yours! Taking the pullet away from them would for sure help. Good luck!
just curious how close your hens are to your bachelor pad? thanks!

I thought I would update this.
I kept the two boys next to each other separated by fencing for a while, and the next thing you know, everything was fine. They worked out their issues really well. They live together, eat together, and give each other crap, but they have never shed blood.

I have two more little boys behind them by two months in age. I will be bringing them up soon and splitting the area in half until they get used to each other.
But so far so good! And it’s so much less drama than the hen coop!!

Back
Top Bottom