Back from Africa & took some chicken pics-heavy!

danischi24

Loves naked pets
11 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Australia
Some of you might remember that I was going to South Africa last month. Anyway, I'm back now & I took some photos of show chickens there. I enjoyed myself, saw family, attended weddings,turned down proposals & looked at lots of horses & chickens. There's a woman who has show birds near to where I grew up & I went to visit her. She has started reviving many breeds so most are still a work in progress though still the best that the country has to offer. Being a silkie person, I took special interest in them. Some of her hens are very nice though the cocks aren't of the type I prefer. All European breeds are bred to the UK SOP but American breeds are bred to the US SOP. All silkies except the last hen are from her grow out pens & still very young. I took photos of her Australorps, Silkies, Partridge Brahmas & Light Sussex.

Chickens003.jpg

Chickens004.jpg

Chickens006.jpg

Chickens010.jpg

Chickens012.jpg

Chickens013.jpg

Chickens014.jpg

Chickens015.jpg

Chickens016.jpg

Chickens017.jpg

Chickens018.jpg

Chickens019.jpg

Chickens020.jpg

Chickens021.jpg

Chickens022.jpg

Chickens023.jpg

Chickens024.jpg

Chickens025.jpg

Chickens026.jpg

Chickens027.jpg

Chickens029.jpg

Chickens031.jpg

Chickens032.jpg

And my ancient silkie/game hen, 14 years old & still on the family farm:

CIMG0995.jpg

I wish you could see that partridge silkie's feet feathers-they are as good as the brahma & she is a quarter his size! She was raised in my house & was my doll in a time that other youngsters had to make do with plastic
tongue.png
I'm amazed to see her & another one a few months older, still alive. The flock has free ranged now for more than 20 years.

Beautiful! I like the silkies too. I had one as a pet and named her pigpen because she was pure white until she took her dirt baths. I got the biggest kick out of her~~she'd greet me at my car when I got home.

Anyway, that's his earlobe. You can't see silkie number 2's beak :)
No, these chickens aren't owned by the natives thank goodness so there's no voo doo'ing. Voo Doo is from further north though, here we have witch doctors or sangomas. My nursemaid growing up was a sangoma on the side.

Back
Top Bottom