Back From Westminster!

watchdogps

Songster
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Central Ohio
Turk and I are back from the Westminster Kennel Club show. We didn't win anything, but we had a good time. It was the first time there for both of us, and it is CRAZY!
I didn't present him as well as I wanted to, I must admit. The floor is these weird astroturf tiles that clack and move a bit when you run. He thought they were odd and got off to a goofy start, which threw me for a loop, and it wasnt very smooth. I know what to prepare for next time!
I was incredibly impressed with how well he handled the show and NYC though. It was absolute madness, wall to wall people, dogs and drive by petting. Loud, flashes, equipment, etc. He was cool as a cucumber. Outside, he handled cars honking just feet from him, sirens and elevators with ease. This is a dog I bred, but he has been a working LGD in rural NY and now WY. He has never seen such a big city before. He acted like he had been born and raised in Manhattan. That made me as proud as if he had won Best in Show.

I'd also like to note that ALL FOUR of the Anatolians shown at Westminster are WORKING LGDs!

You can watch the breed judging here (we are the only dark Anatolian there):

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/videos/

Doesn't matter that you didn't win the first go round!!!!
Congrats that you went and measured up with the "Big Dogs"....
celebrate.gif

My dogs are " Original Mountain Curs" & arent recognized
by AKC. The breeding assoc. doesnt want it that way, as their
competitions are about treeing squirrels and hunting coons.
They protect & dont eat my birds,
They will probably never compete at the 'Garden' ....
I still love 'em & they are the "BEST IN MY SHOW AT THE FARM"!

Hope that you will go again.

bty, Old Yeller was a cur................
clap.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

thumbs up to you!!!!!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

So THATS where you were! Congrats on making it that far and glad to hear you both had fun! I have always wanted to show one of our dogs and really dont care if they place. I just want to experience it. I do have to say I am also impressed with how well he did in the city. We train service dogs and the public access parts in the city are always the hardest on the dogs in training so way to go!

Congrats Watchdogs! Making it to Westminster is something and to think the Anatolians were all LGD is so cool!! Thanks for sharing!! I can now say I almost kinda sorta know someone who showed a truly AWESOME dog at Westminster!! Your Turk is a beautiful boy!!! I had to watch the video!! Thanks again for sharing the clip!!!
woot.gif

Congratulations! Having worked with a slightly reactive/stressed dog in the past I totally understand how the dog's behavior at the show can be so much more rewarding than placing or not. Turk looked great, but so did the other three dogs!

Congratulations on making it there and that your pup did so well with all that stress. The drive-by pettings are the worst!! :)

I think it's fantastic that all the Anatolians were working LGD's. I heard that the Great Pyr who won BOB was a working LGD, too.

What is it with funky flooring at shows? I once tripped on the edge of this weird rubber matting they had down, bounced off my dog's ribcage and regained my balance. She didn't miss a beat but the video got some laughs afterward.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!
Sutton, I am trying to call you back! Just been crazy!
True Grit - did you try to go to the Westminster Kennel Club site? it might work for you there.

Good meeting you today and especially excited about meeting Turk.What a gentle giant and very handsome. We think he is awsome. He sure convinced us that Anatolians will be our LGDs Have a safe trip.
.BTW Ms. Chi was safely delivered to Marilyn,
Deb

Back
Top Bottom