Back in Bresse!

@CNJ, it sounds like you're making good progress toward your ideal meat bird. :thumbsup

I'm looking forward to future crosses, too - Bresse x BCM is one I've raised in the past, and they turned out much more like Bresse than BCM. Always interesting to see the results!
I think we need the dinosaur blood in the Cornish X line to create meatier Breese chicken. I read that the French farmers harvest the roosters at 4 months and the hens at 5 months. My pure Breese chickens at that age weigh 4 to 5 lbs dressed and in comparison, my Breese/Cornish x cross weigh 4 to 5 lbs a month earlier.

I've had a few Bresse crosses this summer... Bresse rooster from the not-so-reputable place in Mississippi over a variety of hens including some bresse girls. The crosses did not mature as quickly as the true bresse birds did were all harvested except 2 a few months ago. I'll try and get pics of the hybrids I kept. I'm also working on a small breeding project involving Jersey Giants and the bresse, trying to grow a larger breasted delicious chicken that isn't a cornish x poop machine lol
Did you end up crossing the Bresse and Jersey giant? I have Bresse and I am getting JG in the next few weeks. I was wondering how they turned out :)

Did you end up crossing the Bresse and Jersey giant? I have Bresse and I am getting JG in the next few weeks. I was wondering how they turned out :)
I got a chick from a White Breese/Black Jersey Giant cross. It turned into a large white hen with black face and blue legs. The Jersey Giant will add weight to your Breese line and they were decent layers. However, I think my Breese/Cornish X cross produced better meat birds. They reach 4 to 5lbs dressed at 3 months old, and can be fried or roasted. Heritage breeds take 5 months to reach that weight, and at that age they are like rubber when fried or roasted. The down side is they eat too much to keep as egg layers........

I got a chick from a White Breese/Black Jersey Giant cross. It turned into a large white hen with black face and blue legs. The Jersey Giant will add weight to your Breese line and they were decent layers. However, I think my Breese/Cornish X cross produced better meat birds. They reach 4 to 5lbs dressed at 3 months old, and can be fried or roasted. Heritage breeds take 5 months to reach that weight, and at that age they are like rubber when fried or roasted. The down side is they eat too much to keep as egg layers........
Since I couldn't find a Bresse rooster for the Bresse hens, so end up with Delaware rooster. The cross chicks are 5-6 weeks old. Will see how they turn out next year.

Back
Top Bottom